updating join table (HMT) with checkbox and extra fields

Hi, I've been breaking my head over this thing with no success. Here is my table layout -

class User < AR has_many :memberships has_many :groups, :through => :memberships ...

class Group < AR has_many :memberships has_many :users, :through => :memberships ...

class Membership < AR   belongs_to :user, :class_name => "User", :foreign_key => "user_id"   belongs_to :group, :class_name => "Group", :foreign_key => "Group_id" ...

Now, Membership table has an extra field called membership_id and I want the user to fill in that id in the edit form.

My view looks like this. The checkbox fields works great and I can update my db pretty well (barring minor issues).

<% form_for :user, @user, :url => { :action => 'save_memberships'} do | form> %>   <%= form.error_messages %>       <% @groups.each do |g| %>         <%= check_box_tag("user[membership_ids]", g.id, @user.groups.include?(g)) %>         <%= "#{g.name}"%><br> ----> I have to invoke my partial to collect membership id here. But can't get the call right. The partial is below.       <% end%> <% end%>

This is the membership partial - <div class="membership">   <% fields_for "user[membership_ids]", membership do |f| %>     Membership id: <%= f.text_field :membership_id %>   <% end %> </div>

Any ideas how I can do this?

thanks

Hi, rubyonrails-core is for discussing the development _of_ Rails.

Repost this on rubyonrails-talk@googlegroups.com for help with development _using_ Rails.

Additionally, you may want to see http://wonderfullyflawed.com/2009/02/17/rails-forms-microformat/ for a detailed explanation of what HTML form helpers output and how to use this format for custom behaviors.

-Trek