Updating a Text box

I have a page with a collection_select, populated by an array of info pulled form a MySQL table. Trying to get some text_fields to update with information from this array depending on which item was selected from the collection select.

Here is some view code:

<%= collection_select(:person, :convert, @nonUsers, :id, :fullName, {:prompt => "Choose..."}, :style => "width:125px;") %>   <%= text_field_tag :userName, @userName %>   <%= observe_field "person_convert", :function => update_page {|page| page["userName"].value = @nonUsers[2].fullName }%>

Which will populate the list with HTML as follows:

<option value="337">Person 1</option> <option value="247">Person 2</option> <option value="355">Person 3</option>

Currently, with the @nonUsers[2].fullName section i'm able to get the text_field to populate with the fullName of the second item, but i'm struggling as to make this dynamic. Please help.

I have a page with a collection_select, populated by an array of info pulled form a MySQL table. Trying to get some text_fields to update with information from this array depending on which item was selected from the collection select.

Here is some view code:

<%= collection_select(:person, :convert, @nonUsers, :id, :fullName, {:prompt => "Choose..."}, :style => "width:125px;") %> <%= text_field_tag :userName, @userName %> <%= observe_field "person_convert", :function => update_page {|page| page["userName"].value = @nonUsers[2].fullName }%>

Which will populate the list with HTML as follows:

<option value="337">Person 1</option> <option value="247">Person 2</option> <option value="355">Person 3</option>

Currently, with the @nonUsers[2].fullName section i'm able to get the text_field to populate with the fullName of the second item, but i'm struggling as to make this dynamic. Please help.

Your rjs (ie update_page) is just generating a static blob of javascript, it's much easier to get rid of that crutch and just write the javascript yourself, something like $('userName').value = $F ('person_convert') (assuming you are using prototype).

Fred