Unsure How To Modify ActionController::Base

Hello,

I would like to add a couple of methods like url_for in such a way that I can call these other methods in my actions just as I might call url_for. However I keep getting undefined method errors when I execute those calls.

Here's what I did:

1. Generated a plugin: $ script/generate plugin UrlForRouter

2. Created the file RAILS_ROOT/vendor/plugins/url_for_router/lib/url_for_router.rb      This file looks like:

module UrlForRouter          def internal_url_for(options = {})            host_url_for('0.0.0.0:3000', options)          end

def external_url_for(options = {})            host_url_for('xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx', options) # anonymised          end

private          def host_url_for(host, options = {})            ENV['RAILS_ENV'] == 'development' ? url_for(options.merge(:host => host)) : url_for(options)          end        end

3. Edited RAILS_ROOT/vendor/plugins/url_for_router/init.rb to look like this:

require 'url_for_router'        ActionController::Base.include UrlForRouter

4. Restarted web server.

5. In my actions I call internal_url_for and external_url_for exactly as I would call url_for.      I get the error: undefined method `external_url_for' for ...etc

Is this even the right way to proceed? If so, what am I doing wrong?

Many thanks, Andy Stewart

Andrew Stewart wrote:

Hello,

I would like to add a couple of methods like url_for in such a way
that I can call these other methods in my actions just as I might
call url_for. However I keep getting undefined method errors when I
execute those calls.

Here's what I did:

1. Generated a plugin: $ script/generate plugin UrlForRouter

2. Created the file RAILS_ROOT/vendor/plugins/url_for_router/lib/ url_for_router.rb      This file looks like:

module UrlForRouter          def internal_url_for(options = {})            host_url_for('0.0.0.0:3000', options)          end

def external_url_for(options = {})            host_url_for('xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx', options) # anonymised          end

private          def host_url_for(host, options = {})            ENV['RAILS_ENV'] == 'development' ? url_for(options.merge (:host => host)) : url_for(options)          end        end

3. Edited RAILS_ROOT/vendor/plugins/url_for_router/init.rb to look
like this:

require 'url_for_router'        ActionController::Base.include UrlForRouter

4. Restarted web server.

5. In my actions I call internal_url_for and external_url_for
exactly as I would call url_for.      I get the error: undefined method `external_url_for' for ...etc

Is this even the right way to proceed? If so, what am I doing wrong?

Many thanks, Andy Stewart

>

Andrew,

I think that include method is private; not 100% sure, but I recall having similiar troubles like you described. So you would have to include it like:

ActionController::Base.send :include, UrlForRouter

Andy,

Unless you want to share these methods across multiple apps don't bother making a plugin. Just do the following:

1) Put url_for_router.rb in your lib/ 2) Include the module in application.rb

class ApplicationController < ActionController::Base   include UrlForRouter   ... end

3) That's it!

Also, if you want to use these methods in your views you can simply add the following to your module.

module UrlForRouter

# --- [ ActionView helper methods ] ---     def self.included(base)       base.send :helper_method, :internal_url_for, :external_url_for     end

end

Hope this helps.

Unless you want to share these methods across multiple apps don't bother making a plugin. Just do the following:

I was thinking that I would reuse this code in future apps. Now that you mention it though, there's no need at the moment. So I'm going with your approach.

class ApplicationController < ActionController::Base   include UrlForRouter   ... end

3) That's it!

That works wonderfully in my controller. Thanks!

However I also have a model (which doesn't subclass ActiveRecord) where I am trying to call my {internal, external}_url_for methods and I get this error:

undefined method `url_for'    #{RAILS_ROOT}/lib/url_for_router.rb:16:in `host_url_for'    #{RAILS_ROOT}/lib/url_for_router.rb:10:in `external_url_for'

My model class finds and calls my methods but the UrlForRouter module can't resolve url_for in this context. What should I do here?

Also, if you want to use these methods in your views you can simply add the following to your module.

module UrlForRouter

# --- [ ActionView helper methods ] ---     def self.included(base)       base.send :helper_method, :internal_url_for, :external_url_for     end

end

Very nice!

Hope this helps.

Yes it does, very much.

Thanks! Andy

Bojan, thanks for this. I tried it but unfortunately it didn't work for me. However that's probably down to some other flaw on my part rather than your suggestion.

Thanks, Andy

That works wonderfully in my controller. Thanks!

However I also have a model (which doesn't subclass ActiveRecord) where I am trying to call my {internal, external}_url_for methods and I get this error:

undefined method `url_for'   #{RAILS_ROOT}/lib/url_for_router.rb:16:in `host_url_for'   #{RAILS_ROOT}/lib/url_for_router.rb:10:in `external_url_for'

My model class finds and calls my methods but the UrlForRouter module can't resolve url_for in this context. What should I do here?

Just for the record, I found this post[1] which argues persuasively for keeping knowledge of URLs out of models (as well as showing a good way to generate URLs within ActionMailer). So I moved the URL knowledge out of my model. Simple, really, when I thought about it.

Regards, Andy

[1] http://www.ryandaigle.com/articles/2006/08/23/whats-new-in-edge-rails-form-urls-in-your-actionmailers-and-elsewhere