unintuitive behaviour of AssocationCollection#first

A post on rails-talk led me to worry about the following:

post.comments.first.title = 'Foo' post.comments.collect &:author #this line isn't really important - anything that requires loading the collection will do

Ta-da! post.comments.first.title reverts to its old value (because it's now a different object - the first item of the freshly loaded collection as opposed to just the result of find :first). This behaviour is rather unintuitive to me (and I would have thought conducive to hard to track down bugs) - Thoughts?

Fred

Ta-da! post.comments.first.title reverts to its old value (because it's now a different object - the first item of the freshly loaded collection as opposed to just the result of find :first). This behaviour is rather unintuitive to me (and I would have thought conducive to hard to track down bugs) - Thoughts?

There are a bunch of other corner cases which present themselves when you start digging in, and a bunch of error cases to account for when fixing them. Putting an identity map in there would solve some of those problems, but involve a lot of work and handling some additional errors like StaleObject and AlreadyAttachedObject and all that jazz.

If someone wanted to play around with it in a git branch then we'd have a better idea about the work involved, for now it's just a vague sense of foreboding.

There are a bunch of other corner cases which present themselves when you start digging in, and a bunch of error cases to account for when fixing them. Putting an identity map in there would solve some of those problems, but involve a lot of work and handling some additional errors like StaleObject and AlreadyAttachedObject and all that jazz.

identity map ?

Fred

identity map ?

It's a way of guaranteeing that there's only one object with a given id in a given context:

http://martinfowler.com/eaaCatalog/identityMap.html

Ah yes. I had an inkling that might be what you were talking about. That itself might introduce some subtle differences in behaviour

Fred

Ah yes. I had an inkling that might be what you were talking about. That itself might introduce some subtle differences in behaviour

It introduces huge differences in behaviour for some situations like:

def whatever   @foo = Foo.find(1)   # Some other process updates foo 1   @foos = Foo.find(:all) # do you retain the old data for foo#1 or replace it with the new data, or raise an exception? end

The first part of an identity map is easy, it's defining the behaviour in all the edge cases that makes it hard, :slight_smile:

That's a bit of a bastard :slight_smile: It's not even that much of an edge case.

Fred