undefined method `generate_token'

Hi Everyone...

I'm following a railscast episode on how to implement an invitation feature.

It's going really well, but i've hit a minor snag that I cant get over..

undefined method `generate_token' for #<Invitation:0x2563bf8>

The invite form allows me to check for a user, and whether they already have registered. If they have, the invitation is not sent, and a flash message is printed.

If the email does not exist, the invite count (starts at 5) decrements until you have none left.

When i click invite, i get the error above. It's moaning about this line: @invitation.sender = @user

i tied replacing @user with user, but still no use..

def create     @invitation = Invitation.new(params[:invitation])     @invitation.sender = @user     if @invitation.save       flash[:notice] = "Thanks - Invitation sent successfully."       redirect_to hub_url     else       render :action => 'new'     end   end

Any ideas why this wont decrement, and why this error is still visible?

Many Thanks

You should specify where @user is defined, otherwise it looks like an undefined variable issue. You haven't defined @user in the code you pasted. Most authentication schemes define the current logged in user as "current_user" or "User.current". Are you defining it as @user?

Ok -

So should I have another line in that says:

user = invitation.sender followed by

@invitation.sender = @user ?

Sorry - may be a daft question, but trying to get my head round it as I go. The tutorial has been trouble free until this... :slight_smile: