Unable to DUMP in schema.rb

I have created the whole database and now also created a migration named "kmigrate" when i use the " rake db:schema:dump " command it doesnt pop up an error but when i log onto schema.rb file then it pops up this error :

ActiveRecord::Schema.define(:version => 20110402024216) do

# Could not dump table "kusers" because of following ArgumentError # invalid date

end

can somebody please help ?

I have created the whole database and now also created a migration named "kmigrate" when i use the " rake db:schema:dump " command it doesnt pop up an error but when i log onto schema.rb file then it pops up this error :

What do you mean log onto the file? What exactly are you doing to get the error?

Colin

Hey Colin,

the problem that i am facing is that, after i have created the entire database and the migration, i use the rake db:schema:dump command.

After using the rake command, the database should be visible in schema.rb as i see in the tutorials. But i am unable to do that.

like if my database has columns like name,age,address.

Then it should show in the schema.rb file.

Instead, it shows the error as below :

Could not dump table “kusers” because of following ArgumentError

invalid date

is there some kind of date validation that i am supposed to do ?

if so, i am unaware of it. Can u guide me ?

Hey Colin,

Could you not top post please, it makes it difficult to follow the thread. Insert your reply at appropriate points in previous message. Thanks.

the problem that i am facing is that, after i have created the entire database and the migration, i use the rake db:schema:dump command. After using the rake command, the database should be visible in schema.rb as i see in the tutorials. But i am unable to do that. like if my database has columns like name,age,address. Then it should show in the schema.rb file. Instead, it shows the error as below : Could not dump table "kusers" because of following ArgumentError invalid date

The error suggests that you have a date/time field with an invalid value;, but why it should notice that when you are dumping the schema I do not know.

Can you post the complete output of the rake command please. Run it in the console then copy and paste the compete text (including the command you entered) into the message.

Colin

Now, this is how i used the migrate command. and it shows that the migration is successful .

Note that the name of migration is 'kmigrate' while the table is 'kusers'. "Example" is the name of the project.

I:\example>rake db:migrate (in I:/example) == Kmigrate: migrating ===================== == Kmigrate: migrated (0.0000s) ============

== CreateKusers: migrating ================= -- create_table(:kusers)    -> 0.0625s == CreateKusers: migrated (0.0625s) ========

This is the code written in \db\migrate\create_kusers.rb file

class CreateKusers < ActiveRecord::Migration   def self.up     create_table :kusers do |t|       t.string "name", :limit =>25       t.string "address", :limit => 50     t.integer "age", :limit =>50       t.timestamps     end   end

def self.down     drop_table :kusers   end end

Now, now the above database should be mentioned in the schema.rb as it is loaded at run-time when DUMPED. but it hows an error as follows :

ActiveRecord::Schema.define(:version => 20110402024216) do

# Could not dump table "kusers" because of following ArgumentError # invalid date

end

instead of invalid date and could not dump in the schema file, it should be able to shows the fields in of the table kusers. other than that i possibly reverted thd migration and tried again, but no luck !! But that does say that migration and revert functions are working perfectly fine.

oh, about before i was replying through e-mails, sorry.

OK, I understand, it is the *contents* of schema.rb that contains the error. Googling for the error message led me quickly to https://github.com/brianmario/mysql2/issues#issue/71 I suggest you read write through that and see if it helps. The better solution is not to use Windows for Rails development. Use this problem as an excuse to switch to, for example, Ubuntu. You can set your PC up to dual boot Win and Ubuntu, or run Ubuntu as a virtual machine on windows, or the other way around. I found that after the initial learning curve of Ubuntu my world rapidly became almost a Windows free zone. It is great to feel in control of ones machine again.

Colin

So am I, that does not stop you scrolling down to insert your reply.

Colin

Oh, i have Ubuntu. In fact, i think i have Ubuntu 10.10 Meerkut Maverick. But its jsut that i am still not very familiar with ubuntu and its file classification and systems to work in it.

Now, if windows is showing such problem then i think i will take ur advice and move on to Ubuntu.

Thanks a lot, i will keep you posted.