ugh - label printing

I have a 'Library' module where I am going to have to print apparently 5 different types of labels depending upon whether they are for books, cd's, audio tapes, video tapes, etc.

Is anyone printing labels with Rails?

Anyone have any suggestions for doing this?

As I see it, I can either export the data as CSV and use that CSV to mail merge with Word/OpenOffice.org or beat myself up trying to make it work out with pdf-writer.

I am hoping that someone has blazed this trail already...googling hasn't turned up anything of significance.

Craig

If you don't mind MS Word, you could go WordML and generate XML via Builder - surprisingly viable out in the real world - we use it at work to generate orchestra schedules dynamically... (not RoR... yet)

Craig White wrote:

I have a 'Library' module where I am going to have to print apparently 5 different types of labels depending upon whether they are for books, cd's, audio tapes, video tapes, etc.

Is anyone printing labels with Rails?

Anyone have any suggestions for doing this?

Hi,

not with Rails (yet), but with PHP (the application I'm trying to port).

I have PHP create a temporary LaTeX file and then run "pdflatex" to compile this file to a PDF on the server, then have PHP pass it through to the browser as application/x-pdf. It's so simple that it's a ten-liner even in PHP. *g*

There are lots of pre-made classes especially for the myriad of different Zweckform sticky labels available for LaTeX, including margin settings for most common printers. You're bound to find labels for CDs and DVDs and the like too, otherwise you can modify an existing class rather easily.

I came to the conclusion that this is the easiest method. You don't depend on the users' Word or OOo versions, they can view it before they print it, adjust printer settings if they want, or just save the file. Plus, the user can't break anything.

Craig White wrote:

> > I have a 'Library' module where I am going to have to print apparently 5 > different types of labels depending upon whether they are for books, > cd's, audio tapes, video tapes, etc. > > Is anyone printing labels with Rails? > > Anyone have any suggestions for doing this?

Hi,

not with Rails (yet), but with PHP (the application I'm trying to port).

I have PHP create a temporary LaTeX file and then run "pdflatex" to compile this file to a PDF on the server, then have PHP pass it through to the browser as application/x-pdf. It's so simple that it's a ten-liner even in PHP. *g*

There are lots of pre-made classes especially for the myriad of different Zweckform sticky labels available for LaTeX, including margin settings for most common printers. You're bound to find labels for CDs and DVDs and the like too, otherwise you can modify an existing class rather easily.

I came to the conclusion that this is the easiest method. You don't depend on the users' Word or OOo versions, they can view it before they print it, adjust printer settings if they want, or just save the file. Plus, the user can't break anything.

Craig White wrote: