Transactions on Multiple Models

I can't get transactions working correctly on multiple models.

I have an XML parser that's importing a bunch of data into my system. I have to update two different tables (models) but if anything at all fails, I want it all rolled back. Here's the code I'm using:

User.transaction do   Field.transaction do     user.update_attribute("blah", 1)     field.update_attribute("other", 2)

raise "test error"   end end

Unfortunately, the call to update_attribute on the User model commits even though the call on the Field model does not. This code also fails:

User.transaction do   user.update_attribute("blah", 1)

Field.transaction do     field.update_attribute("other", 2)

raise "test error"   end end

Is there any way to do this such that ALL the DB calls will commit or fail across multiple models?

Hello, I know that this will come across as 'flippant', but, have you actually -read- the update_attribute description ?

Note: This method is overwritten by the Validation module that’ll make sure that updates made with this method doesn’t get subjected to validation checks. Hence, attributes can be updated even if the full object isn’t valid.

So, yes, from what -I- can see, update_attribute fires -instantly- and its not really to be used 'lightly'. Can I ask, whats wrong with saying user.blah = 1 and then field.other = 2 ? I also doubt that your database supports nested transactions, nor this is what you mean.

User.transaction do user.blah = 1 field.other = 2

if field.save! and user.save! then puts "everything hunky-dory" end end

No doubt, syntax isn't precise, the moon isn't in alignment or some other reason that this will probably be wrong, so ymmv, but hopefully you get the idea :wink: Fyi, the save! will also auto-raise an error on failure, so, raising your own error isn't required :wink:

Regards Stef

atraver@gmail.com wrote: