Tracing the calls and classes

Is there any way, short of lot of log statements, to trace the execution of rails code? Th reason I'm asking has to do with name space, inheritance and over-riding functions.

I'm preprocessing text before handing it to Redcloth so I have

@text_to_render = MyRender.new( @text.to_s )

and

class MyRender

...   def render(...)      ...   end .... end

Not I know what

@text_to_render.render

refers to :slight_smile: but what is and isn't over-ridden? If I use any of the depreciated Rails 'render_' family that eventually calls 'render()' will this over-ride them? Will it only NOT over-ride them if I invoke it with a MyRender class object

@text_to_render.render( :action => .... and                         render( :action => ...

Or, to ask it another way. How can I override the Rails render and do a

def render( @args )      ... do my stuff ...      optionally call the Rails 'render'            ... do more of my stuff        end

You can use ruby-debug...

Gem install ruby-debug

rdebug script\server

help

Oh wow!

Yes, this makes it very clear what code is executed in the controller and what code is executed in the view

Which begs the question - where's the best place for code? Obviously there the app/controller and app/model but how should one treat app/helpers and /lib ??

Meech said the following on 02/23/2007 05:59 PM:

Meech wrote:

You can use ruby-debug...

Gem install ruby-debug

rdebug script\server

help

If I do this in my project directory, I get this output:

rdebug script/server ./script/server:2: require File.dirname(__FILE__) + '/../config/boot' (rdb:1) help ruby-debug help v.0.7.5 Available commands: backtrace break catch cont delete display down eval exit finish frame irb list method next p pp quit reload restart save script set step tmate trace undisplay up var where

(rdb:1)

So, rdebug is running. But I don't get any response on localhost:3000. I'm running mongrel if that makes a difference. A regular invocation of script/server gives me:

=> Booting Mongrel (use 'script/server webrick' to force WEBrick) => Rails application starting on http://0.0.0.0:3000 => Call with -d to detach => Ctrl-C to shutdown server ** Starting Mongrel listening at 0.0.0.0:3000 ** Starting Rails with development environment... ** Rails loaded. ** Loading any Rails specific GemPlugins ** Signals ready. TERM => stop. USR2 => restart. INT => stop (no restart). ** Rails signals registered. HUP => reload (without restart). It might not work well. ** Mongrel available at 0.0.0.0:3000 ** Use CTRL-C to stop.

Would really like to check out ruby-debug, but I'm kind of stumped on this.

b