to_date method problems

I'm having problems, all of a sudden, with some code that's been working for years. Someone else wrote this code, and I'm just trying to maintain it - I don't have expert experience with ruby or rails. The code grabs all invoices processed within the past week for a customer and send an email to the appropriate person, like this:

# finds the most recent invoices for this organization   def find_recent_invoices(number=6)     date = (Time.now - number.days).to_date     invoices.find(:all, :order => 'posted_on asc', :conditions => ["invoices.posted_on >= ?", date])   end

I get this error:

NoMethodError (private method `to_date' called for Sat Nov 15 13:32:51 -0800 2008:Time):     /app/models/organization.rb:67:in `find_recent_invoices'     /app/controllers/admin/communicate_controller.rb:96:in `send_invoices'     /app/controllers/admin/communicate_controller.rb:95:in `each'     /app/controllers/admin/communicate_controller.rb:95:in `send_invoices'     /vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_controller/base.rb:849:in `send'     /vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_controller/base.rb:849:in `perform_action_without_filters'     /vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_controller/filters.rb:332:in `perform_action_without_benchmark'     /vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_controller/benchmarking.rb:69:in `perform_action_without_rescue'     /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/benchmark.rb:293:in `measure'     /vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_controller/benchmarking.rb:69:in `perform_action_without_rescue'     /vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_controller/rescue.rb:82:in `perform_action'     /vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_controller/base.rb:369:in `send'     /vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_controller/base.rb:369:in `process_without_session_management_support'     /vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_controller/session_management.rb:116:in `process'     /vendor/rails/railties/lib/dispatcher.rb:38:in `dispatch'     /lib/fcgi_handler.rb:136:in `process_request'     /lib/fcgi_handler.rb:62:in `process!'     /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/fcgi.rb:612:in `each_cgi'     /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/fcgi.rb:609:in `each'     /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/fcgi.rb:609:in `each_cgi'     /lib/fcgi_handler.rb:53:in `process!'     /lib/fcgi_handler.rb:20:in `process!'     dispatch.fcgi:24

I don't remember the particulars, but you've hit the mismatched ruby/rails bug that came up about rails 1.2.3 I think it was. Maybe 1.2.6. Anyway, at one point some methods went private in ruby that Rails used. Or vice versa. Anyway, the next version of rails put them back because people were used to them. Google around for specifics.

In any event, I suspect you've either just recently updated Ruby or Rails when this problem started.

If it helps, the line giving you problems works for me with rails 2.1.0 and ruby 1.8.6 (2008-03-03 patchlevel 114).

Change the code to this and it should work for you:

def find_recent_invoices(number=6)    invoices.find(:all, :order => 'posted_on asc',                  :conditions => ["invoices.posted_on >= ?", number.days.ago]) end

-philip

Thanks for the help - you're a life saver. I'll be sure to let our programmer know he lost me my Friday night. :wink: