TimeZone daylight savings time problems

Here is the following from my console:

Time.now

=> Mon Sep 22 11:33:34 +0200 2008

Time.now.utc_offset

=> 7200

TimeZone[Time.now.utc_offset]

=> #<TimeZone:0x11aea90 @tzinfo=nil, @utc_offset=7200, @name="Athens">

Time.now.in_time_zone(TimeZone[Time.now.utc_offset])

=> Mon, 22 Sep 2008 12:34:22 EEST +03:00

(I am in Spain - CET - and running on OS X with the correct timezone)

The Time.now correctly gives me the time, and the correct UTC offset of 2 hours. It is the summer, so we are 2 hours ahead of UTC. We are still one hour ahead of London, but London itself is an hour ahead as they too switch to a summer time (BST).

ruby tells me that my utc_offset is 7200 - which is correct. But... when I pull out the timezone it gives me the wrong one. Athens is 3 hours ahead of UTC, not 2 (at this time of year). So, when I convert a time using the timezone it gives me it is an hour out!

I had hoped that time zone woes were behind me after switching to RoR from Java. But it still seems to be a problem.

How can I get the correct Time Zone?

There is a bug tracked (http://dev.rubyonrails.org/ticket/4551) but it seems to be set to closed... but it definitely isn't fixed!

Right now I am doing this:

offset = Time.now.dst? ? 60 : 0

Anyone have any better solutions?

Time.zone will give you the time zone currently set in Rails 2.1

You should set the time zone of your environment in the environment.db: config.time_zone = 'Amsterdam'

You can ask the users of your application to select their time zone (that's something they'll have to tell you, it's not possible for Rails to guess :-)), save it in the user table as time_zone variable and set it for your current user in a before_filter: Time.zone = @current_user.time_zone.

More details are found here:

Hi, Thanks for that, but it completely misses the point in that I can not even get the proper time zone conversion inside the server. I am not bringing a user's timezone into the equation!

I can't go back and forth inside the same instance and get reliable results: Time.now and Time.now.in_time_zone(TimeZone[Time.now.utc_offset]) should give me the same times back! it doesn't.

Anyway, I think I found another bug listed for this, so I will trust that someone more clever than I will figure it out.

phil wrote:

Time.now and Time.now.in_time_zone(TimeZone[Time.now.utc_offset]) should give me the same times back! it doesn't.

It looks like its working for me. I'm on Rails 2.1.1 on Mac OS X 10.5.5:

Loading development environment (Rails 2.1.1)

Time.now

=> Tue Sep 23 11:13:02 -0500 2008

Time.now.utc_offset

=> -18000

Time.now.in_time_zone(TimeZone[Time.now.utc_offset])

=> Tue, 23 Sep 2008 11:13:28 COT -05:00

TimeZone[Time.now.utc_offset]

=> #<ActiveSupport::TimeZone:0x5cb1b0 @utc_offset=-18000, @name="Bogota", @tzinfo=#<TZInfo::DataTimezone: America/Bogota

Although the TimeZone[Time.now.utc_offset] line didn't return the correct time zone for me, as I'm in Central (US & Canada).

Peace.

Ok phil, I see the point you're trying to make.

The thing I was trying to say is that it's just not possible for Rails to really know in which time zone you are. So when you call TimeZone[some_offset], it can only make a guess about the time zone, because it doesn't know if you're in a time zone with or without DST.

Again, in Rails 2.1, you should set your time zone via the config.time_zone command so that Rails knows in which time zone is your server. And you retrieve your time zone (that was your question, right?) using      Time.zone So not using TimeZone. class method.

Interesting... I am going to guess that you are not in a place that uses daylight savings time?

Thanks, You are correct in that I should use Time.zone for server time, but I have a value coming from the client that is there offset to gmt (from a javascript call)... oh well!

thanks though

phil wrote:

Interesting... I am going to guess that you are not in a place that uses daylight savings time?

On Sep 23, 6:15 pm, Phillip Koebbe <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-s.net>

No, I am in a place that uses DST.

Peace.

phil wrote:

Thanks, You are correct in that I should use Time.zone for server time, but I have a value coming from the client that is there offset to gmt (from a javascript call)... oh well!

Hello Phil,

Having quite a similar problem. Any idea how could I get a TimeZone instance for a given offset with disabled DST? Did you solve your problem with the offset?

Regards,   KIR