text anchors: How do they work?

Hi everybody, I googeled a bit and I found out that I can set a text anchor in rails by using link_to. But I can't figure out how to determine the landing point of that anchor.

My text is like the following:

foo baz baz baz baz baz baz baz baz baz baz read more 1 foo baz baz baz baz baz baz baz baz baz baz baz read more 2

read more 1 anchor baz baz baz baz baz baz baz baz baz baz...

read more 2 anchor baz baz baz baz baz baz baz baz baz baz...

where the baz baz part is certainly long enough that i need a text anchor.

i'd make the "read more 1" a "link_to #read_more_1" and would be linked to request.url#read_more_1. But how do I tell the page to display the anchor on top of the page?

I think this has to be very simple, I just don't get it :smiley:

regards

Hi everybody, I googeled a bit and I found out that I can set a text anchor in rails by using link_to. But I can't figure out how to determine the landing point of that anchor.

My text is like the following:

foo baz baz baz baz baz baz baz baz baz baz read more 1 foo baz baz baz baz baz baz baz baz baz baz baz read more 2

read more 1 anchor baz baz baz baz baz baz baz baz baz baz...

read more 2 anchor baz baz baz baz baz baz baz baz baz baz...

where the baz baz part is certainly long enough that i need a text anchor.

i'd make the "read more 1" a "link_to #read_more_1" and would be linked to request.url#read_more_1. But how do I tell the page to display the anchor on top of the page?

I think this has to be very simple, I just don't get it :smiley:

The browser is in charge of anything past the hash mark in the URL. You don't do anything besides apply that ID to an element in your page (a P, an Hn, a span, anything that has a position on the page will do) and the browser will do the rest.

Walter

Works like a charm, thanks a lot. Guess you have to be told. :slight_smile: