Testing download in controller

How can download of files be tested? The processing of the file is being tested okay, but I don't know how to simulate the controller call.

TIA,   Jeffrey

How can download of files be tested? The processing of the file is being

tested okay, but I don’t know how to simulate the controller call.

What are you using to test? This is a bit off your topic as it sounds like you are writing controller specific tests. I used to do that, but in the last year I have started convering my ui and views heavily with testing and since doing this I find that I can achieve reasonably also testing the controller actions. I am sure some will argue against this but in the interest in time and quality I think I get more bang for my time covering how the user will use my ui. That said, I use rspec with capybara (steak) and using capybara, if there is a download link, I just click the link and then look at the page.body which gives me the content of the downloaded file.

I know you should be able to do so in a controller spec/test also, should be something like calling a get. I am not sure what your method is but if it has multiple formats then you would have to specify the format in a parameter I think, or do something like “get '/controller/action/file.pdf” or something like that. I would google for ‘rails test file download’, it looks like you will have some results you can at least piece together.

Quoting David Kahn <dk@structuralartistry.com>:

> How can download of files be tested? The processing of the file is being > tested okay, but I don't know how to simulate the controller call. >

What are you using to test? This is a bit off your topic as it sounds like you are writing controller specific tests. I used to do that, but in the last year I have started convering my ui and views heavily with testing and since doing this I find that I can achieve reasonably also testing the controller actions. I am sure some will argue against this but in the interest in time and quality I think I get more bang for my time covering how the user will use my ui. That said, I use rspec with capybara (steak) and using capybara, if there is a download link, I just click the link and then look at the page.body which gives me the content of the downloaded file.

I know you should be able to do so in a controller spec/test also, should be something like calling a get. I am not sure what your method is but if it has multiple formats then you would have to specify the format in a parameter I think, or do something like "get '/controller/action/file.pdf" or something like that. I would google for 'rails test file download', it looks like you will have some results you can at least piece together.

Oops, I have the directions backwards. I need to simulate/test upload of a file. The user is uploading their RSS feeds in an OPML file (typically exported from Google Reader). I expected this to be an obscure question, so I didn't Google it. It isn't. There are several answers on Stack Overflow and elsewhere. I sucessfully used the answer at the URL below. Note, this has changed in Rails 3. There is a link to the Rails 3 answer in the footnote to the first answer.

Jeffrey