table lock

vendor/rails/activerecord/lib/active_record/locking/pessimistic:     # Pass <tt>:lock => true</tt> to ActiveRecord::Base.find to obtain an exclusive     # lock on the selected rows:     # # select * from accounts where id=1 for update     # Account.find(1, :lock => true)

vendor/rails/activerecord/lib/active_record/locking/pessimistic: # Pass <tt>:lock => true</tt> to ActiveRecord::Base.find to obtain an exclusive

That's a row lock :slight_smile: If you want a table lock you need to run the appropriate sql statement for your database by hand.

Fred

That's a row lock :slight_smile: If you want a table lock you need to run the appropriate sql statement for your database by hand.

Fred

oh, i'm sorry. it seems i'm still a little bit sleepy and didn't read the question correctly. i thought you were looking for a row lock...

Frederick Cheung wrote:

Frederick Cheung wrote:

vendor/rails/activerecord/lib/active_record/locking/pessimistic: � � # Pass <tt>:lock => true</tt> to ActiveRecord::Base.find to
obtain an exclusive

Fred

Please give me some examples to accomplish the table level lock.

That depends on your database. ActiveRecord::Base.connection.execute
allows you to execute arbitrary sql statements.

Fred

I have a two tables a and b . At first I am fetching one records from a.Then I have to use table lock to lock that table. Then I will do some operatins,Then I insert a record in b table.Then I will remove the lock.Untill such times other rails application should not read the data from a table.How to do this using ActiveRecord::Base class , Say Sql Query to do that.

Like i said before, depends on your database (and in general table locks are a bad idea and will hurt you as your number of users increases)

Fred

This is a MySQL page where it talks about table locking:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/lock-tables.html

Pepe