Symbol.to_proc is way slower than invoking methods directly

All,

I was recently introduced to the Symbol.to_proc trick where you can invoke methods on collection elements in a map call with less syntax, as in:

["1", "2", "3"].map(&:to_i)

While this is very clever looking (albeit potentially harder to read for Ruby/Rails noobs, which implies a human performance cost), I started thinking about it and decided this had to be slower than calling methods directly, as in:

["1", "2", "3"].map {|x| x.to_i}

So I decided to benchmark it to see. My benchmark test shows that calling the method through the Symbol.to_proc method (at least in this case) is 8.5X slower than doing the more readable method invocation.

My benchmark code is below. Is it a valid test? And if so, why should we use Symbol.to_proc unnecessarily when it is such a poor performer?

Thanks, Wes

==========benchmark code============

#!/usr/bin/ruby

require 'benchmark' include Benchmark

LOOP_COUNT = 1_000_000 x = ["1","2","3"] bmbm do |test|   test.report("Method invoke") do     LOOP_COUNT.times {x.map {|elem| elem.to_i}}   end

test.report("Symbol.to_proc") do    LOOP_COUNT.times {x.map(&:to_i)} end end

One more thing - here's how I ran it:

$ script/runner -e development benchmark_to_proc.rb Rehearsal

Hi --

All,

I was recently introduced to the Symbol.to_proc trick where you can invoke methods on collection elements in a map call with less syntax, as in:

While this is very clever looking (albeit potentially harder to read for Ruby/Rails noobs, which implies a human performance cost), I started thinking about it and decided this had to be slower than calling methods directly, as in:

So I decided to benchmark it to see. My benchmark test shows that calling the method through the Symbol.to_proc method (at least in this case) is 8.5X slower than doing the more readable method invocation.

My benchmark code is below. Is it a valid test? And if so, why should we use Symbol.to_proc unnecessarily when it is such a poor performer?

The good news, I guess, is that it seems to be only about twice as slow in Ruby 1.9:

$ ruby19 to_proc.rb Rehearsal -------------------------------------------------- Method invoke 1.480000 0.010000 1.490000 ( 1.498664) Symbol.to_proc 2.640000 0.010000 2.650000 ( 2.656658) ----------------------------------------- total: 4.140000sec

user system total real Method invoke 1.470000 0.010000 1.480000 ( 1.483069) Symbol.to_proc 2.640000 0.010000 2.650000 ( 2.668746)

$ ruby19 -v ruby 1.9.0 (2008-07-20 revision 16244) [i686-darwin9.3.0]

David

Still, twice as slow isn't really acceptable.

Since I was told about this I've stopped using symbol to proc in favour of typing it out. It may use a little bit more time, but that's time that my users won't spend waiting for the page to process.

Hi --

Wes Gamble wrote:

You seem to have reproduced the research of Matz & Co. The next version of Ruby will implement Symbol.to_proc in C - turning it from a hack into a /de-facto/ keyword.

Hi --

David A. Black wrote:

See my 1.9.0 benchmarks, a few posts back. It's still (as of then) a good bit slower than the block version, at least in this test.

Do you have a guess why? It seems both expressions could resolve to the same opcodes...

Phlip wrote:

Do you have a guess why? It seems both expressions could resolve to the same opcodes...

Isn't it as simply as two more method calls in the &:to_i case? One call to Symbol.to_proc and another call to Object.send, in addition to the actual method call that you want.

When I look at the &: idiom, the only good reason I can think of to use it would be if you truly needed to invoke a method whose name you didn't know until runtime. Even then, I suspect that &: would still be slower, again, because it inserts another (unnecessary) method call. In the case of a truly dynamic method invocation, you would probably just use Object.send, but with &:, you still have to do the call to Symbol.to_proc before that.

This has been a good way to get me thinking about the potential cost of the syntactic sugar that we may exploit all the time in Rails.

Thanks, Wes

Wes Gamble wrote:

When I look at the &: idiom, the only good reason I can think of to use it would be if you truly needed to invoke a method whose name you didn't know until runtime.

Premature optimization is the root of all evil. We cache both our database hits and our web pages hits. We value development time enough to not worry about the microseconds of each statement we write, so long as they save mega-seconds of coding time.

> Even then, I suspect that &: would still be slower,

again, because it inserts another (unnecessary) method call. In the case of a truly dynamic method invocation, you would probably just use Object.send, but with &:, you still have to do the call to Symbol.to_proc before that.

I can't see a problem with making &: into a single operator. Thats how constructs like x[0] ||= 0 work - the entire sequence from the [ to the = goes into an operator, with x, 0, and 0 as arguments.

Whenever you make a design decision there will be tradeoffs. Symbol#to_proc trades an increase in readability for a decrease in performance. It's good to be aware of this when using it. On the other hand, there are many things in your Rails app that will be orders of magnitude slower than your uses of Symbol#to_proc, so I wouldn't necessarily reject it out of hand on performance grounds alone.

If you're writing lower level libraries, I would definitely avoid using Symbol#to_proc. For a Rails app, trying to eek out milliseconds by replacing Symbol#to_proc with a block is probably a poor optimization.

Rein

Rein Henrichs wrote:

Whenever you make a design decision there will be tradeoffs. Symbol#to_proc trades an increase in readability for a decrease in performance.

That's interesting. I think that &: is way _less_ readable than the "regular" block syntax.

WG

Hi --

Phlip wrote:

Isn't it as simply as two more method calls in the &:to_i case? One call to Symbol.to_proc and another call to Object.send, in addition to the actual method call that you want.

I believe that's right (though I haven't dug into it). Basically, & is now a unary operator that calls #to_proc on any object that implements it:

david-blacks-macbook:~ dblack$ irb19 --simple-prompt

obj = Object.new

=> #<Object:0x3b94f8>

def obj.to_proc; Proc.new { puts "Hi!" }; end

=> nil

[1].each(&obj)

Hi! => [1]

David

Hi --

Wes Gamble wrote:

When I look at the &: idiom, the only good reason I can think of to use it would be if you truly needed to invoke a method whose name you didn't know until runtime.

Premature optimization is the root of all evil. We cache both our database hits and our web pages hits. We value development time enough to not worry about the microseconds of each statement we write, so long as they save mega-seconds of coding time.

Not all optimization is premature, though, and some is sort of incidental. Every time you write code one way, it's a decision not to write it in n other possible ways. It's even true that if I write:

s = "string"

I've chosen not to write it as:

s = "#{sleep 10; nil}string"

Of course, you could say that doing it that second way would be dumb and so on. But if you happen to know that =~ is faster than Regexp#match, or that a block is faster than Symbol#to_proc, then the choice of the faster one becomes kind of instantaneous. (Unless of course you have some specific reason to choose the other, like wanting the MatchData object or wanting to squeeze your code down.)

In other words, we're always making these choices, and if the way you choose happens to run faster, that's not necessarily the root of any evil :slight_smile:

> Even then, I suspect that &: would still be slower,

again, because it inserts another (unnecessary) method call. In the case of a truly dynamic method invocation, you would probably just use Object.send, but with &:, you still have to do the call to Symbol.to_proc before that.

I can't see a problem with making &: into a single operator. Thats how constructs like x[0] ||= 0 work - the entire sequence from the [ to the = goes into an operator, with x, 0, and 0 as arguments.

The &obj thing is more general, though. I guess it could be special-cased for symbols, though then that means weird things like that you wouldn't be able to override #to_proc for a symbol (which might not matter often but isn't ideal).

David

Wes Gamble wrote:

All,

Thanks, Wes

==========benchmark code============

#!/usr/bin/ruby

require 'benchmark' include Benchmark

LOOP_COUNT = 1_000_000 x = ["1","2","3"] bmbm do |test|   test.report("Method invoke") do     LOOP_COUNT.times {x.map {|elem| elem.to_i}}   end

test.report("Symbol.to_proc") do    LOOP_COUNT.times {x.map(&:to_i)} end end ~

Hey wes,

you are testing "invoking explicit blocks" vs "creating a temporary Proc object and invoking via that". What is missing here would be "create a proc once and invoke via that." This would be the more real-life approach, because you usually invoke a Proc/block/whatever on a structure with more than three entries.

Besides, I found a hack that would decrease the runtime overhead of using Symbol#to_proc, which is to cache the Proc object inside the symbol:

class Symbol   def to_proc     @to_proc ||= Proc.new { |*args| args.shift.__send__(self, *args) }   end end

With this I get runtimes only two times the original ones. But I still don't know if I should consider that one safe. Do you have any idea on that?

/eno

I have a post on my blog that goes into that in more detail:

Enrico Thierbach wrote:

Besides, I found a hack that would decrease the runtime overhead of using Symbol#to_proc, which is to cache the Proc object inside the symbol:

class Symbol   def to_proc     @to_proc ||= Proc.new { |*args| args.shift.__send__(self, *args) }   end end

With this I get runtimes only two times the original ones. But I still don't know if I should consider that one safe. Do you have any idea on that?

I think it's a good optimization. I still don't like the idea of slowing down stuff any more than necessary, no matter how you do it.

Wes