subdomainfu

Hi all, I am using subdomainfu plugin for subdomain in my project.I can get the subdomain in the url with 'current_subdomain'. But for subdomain to be accepted by my browser I need to change the / etc/hosts : 127.0.0.1 localhost 127.0.0.1 subdomain1.localhost 127.0.0.1 subdomain2.localhost

This way I will need to enter subdomain3,subdomain4..... which I can't do for every user that creates account in my project.I found that I can't use 127.0.0.1 *.localhost.

Maybe I am missing something here.Can you suggest me the solution.I am using webrick server to host my project.

Thanks , Prabesh Shrestha

Prabesh Shrestha wrote:

Hi all, I am using subdomainfu plugin for subdomain in my project.I can get the subdomain in the url with 'current_subdomain'. But for subdomain to be accepted by my browser I need to change the / etc/hosts : 127.0.0.1 localhost 127.0.0.1 subdomain1.localhost 127.0.0.1 subdomain2.localhost

This way I will need to enter subdomain3,subdomain4..... which I can't do for every user that creates account in my project.I found that I can't use 127.0.0.1 *.localhost.

Maybe I am missing something here.Can you suggest me the solution.I am using webrick server to host my project.

Thanks , Prabesh Shrestha

For you local machine, you will have to enter all the subdomains in hosts file. But when you go to production, you can modify your httpd.conf.

Ryan has an excellant screencast on this. Have a look at that.

But a word of warning, I did create an application using subdomainfu and permalink plugins. The performance was too slow. it could be because i was checking a subdomain against multiple tables.

Thanks for the reply. I had hosted my application on Godaddy and I changed the A name there and now my subdomains are working all fine. I actually didn't needed subdomainfu for my purpose.I had to get the name of subdoman and I used request.subdomains(1) for that.

Thanks, Prabesh Shrestha

Hypothetically, I believe you could configure a local DNS server to redirect *.localhost to your ruby server. I’m not positive though.