style question: "update or create" active record

I find that I'm frequently writing code that could be described in english as "If there is an incumbent ActiveRecord that meets some specific criteria, then update one or more of its fields. Otherwise create a new record with the same criteria and new field values."

ActiveRecord's dynamic finder methods (find_or_create_by_xxx) are not usually expressive enough to do this. But I haven't been able to create a general method that smells right. It's been bugging me, so I turn to the mavens of style in this forum for suggestions.

As an example, I just wrote this monstrosity:

def set_xattribute(name, value)     symbol_name = self.class.intern_symbol_name(name)     incumbent = SymbolValue.       where(:symbol_values => {:symbol_name_id => symbol_name.id}).       where(:symbol_values => {:owner_id => self.id}).       where(:symbol_values => {:xclass_id => self.class.xclass_id}).first     if (incumbent)       incumbent.update_attribute(:value, value)     else       SymbolValue.create(:symbol_name_id => symbol_name.id,                          :owner_id => self.id,                          :xclass_id => self.class.xclass_id,                          :value => value)     end   end

Note the huge amount of repetition between the "finder" (incumbent = ...) and the "creator" (SymbolValue.create(...)). I can think of a few approaches to DRYing this code (e.g. scopes), but what do the mavens of style in this forum suggest?

- ff