Structuring a has_many query

It is not clear to me what question you are trying to ask here.

Colin

My question is how do I structure a query that will return all the categories with the related sub-categories and the related posts.

My question is how do I structure a query that will return all the categories with the related sub-categories and the related posts.

If you just get all the relevent categories in @categories then for each category accessed via something like @categories.each do |category| then you can use category.sub_categories and then for each of those the posts in exactly the way suggested in your original code. There is no need to do anything special in the query, just fetch the relevant categories.

By the way could you not top post please, it makes it difficult to follow the thread. Insert you reply at appropriate points in the previous message. Thanks.

Colin

> My question is how do I structure a query that will return all the > categories with the related sub-categories and the related posts.

If you just get all the relevent categories in @categories then for each category accessed via something like @categories.each do |category| then you can use category.sub_categories and then for each of those the posts in exactly the way suggested in your original code. There is no need to do anything special in the query, just fetch the relevant categories.

By the way could you not top post please, it makes it difficult to follow the thread. Insert you reply at appropriate points in the previous message. Thanks.

Colin

> >> >> > I have the following models: >> > >> > Category: >> > has_many :sub_categories >> > >> > Sub_Category: >> > >> > belongs_to :category >> > has_many :posts >> > >> > Post: >> > belongs_to :sub_category >> > >> > I'm trying to build a page that will list Categories with Pjax tabs and >> > then >> > each Category tab will list all it's Sub-Categories in widgets with 5 >> > posts >> > in each widget. >> > >> > I have an idea of how to loop through the data once I have it but I'm >> > having >> > trouble structuring the query. Thanks for any help. >> >

Do you mean to say you've got the view code but don't know what should go in the controller?

You dont need to structure the query to the db. you get all categories, subcategories and posts with @categories = Category.all (or something like Category.where(:xy => z)

You can iterate over the @categories like this:

@categories.each do |category|

Do stuff for your category iteration here

category.sub_categories.each do |sub| # Do stuff of sub category here sub.posts.each_slice(5) do |slice| # Slice stuff here (each 5 posts do something, like a div or something.) slice.each do |post| # do single post stuff here end end end end