stray questions

Hi,

I've been googling and going through the forum, and I can't find the answers so some stray questions.

A) If I have a render :partial is there a way to get rid of the trailing newline? <%- and -%> don't work. Is the <br> an essential part of the partial?

B) People say that the mysql tables get kinda messy sometimes and that they need to be reinitialized every once in a while. Frankly, that kind of talk scares me. But what are the steps for reinitializing?

I have a problem where I added the has_many and belongs_to lines fairly late in the game, and I am worried that somehow the scaffolding isn't paying attention to them. I have an object that has_many As and has_many Bs. It gives me no problem with the As, but when it tries to find the Bs, give an error.

The error says:

uninitialized constant SpreadType::Abstractleg

I don't have any irritating pluralization or nothin.

I am running on Debian Linux.

3. I also get a scary error when I try to install the ruby-gems debugging package. Should I just switch OSes? What is the VERY BEST OS for doing ruby work?

See inline - I’ll do my best to answer.

Hi,

I’ve been googling and going through the forum, and I can’t find the

answers so some stray questions.

A) If I have a render :partial is there a way to get rid of the trailing

newline? <%- and -%> don’t work. Is the
an essential part of the

partial?

trainling newline? like in your source code? or when you look at the page?

B) People say that the mysql tables get kinda messy sometimes and that

they

need to be reinitialized every once in a while. Frankly, that kind of

talk scares me. But what are the steps for reinitializing?

I have no idea. Hasn’t really been a problem here. Sounds like FUD. However you don’t have to use MySQL. You can use PostgreSQL, Oracle, MS Sql Server, whatever works best for you.

I have a problem where I added the has_many and belongs_to lines fairly

late in the game, and I am worried that somehow the scaffolding isn’t

paying attention to them.

Scaffolding doesn’t care about associations, and it’s really not meant to be anything but a learning tool.

I have an object that has_many As and

has_many Bs. It gives me no problem with the As, but when it tries to

find the Bs, give an error.

The error says:

uninitialized constant SpreadType::Abstractleg

I don’t have any irritating pluralization or nothin.

Show your code - both models with names and associations, and also your database table names and field names for both.

Generally, if project has_many :tasks, and task belongs_to :project, then the tasks table would have a project_id column. The belongs_to declaration goes in the model whose table contains the foreign key.

I am running on Debian Linux.

1. I also get a scary error when I try to install the ruby-gems

debugging package. Should I just switch OSes? What is the VERY BEST OS

for doing ruby work?

Debian is a fine OS, but I don’t know how you installed things. Its packages for Ruby might be out of date. Ubuntu is a good distro for development. I’ve used Ubuntu, Windows, and Mac, and I prefer the Mac OS for Rails development. Not going to get into the reasons because I don’t want to start a holy war. But given that your installation has recent versions of Ruby (ruby -v should report 1.8.4 or higher, preferably something in 1.8.6 or so) then you should be fine.

trainling newline? like in your source code? or when you look at the page?

On the page. I guess what I am trying to do is have an update in a division using a partial, with multiple divisions on the same line.

render :update do |page|         page[:test].replace_html :partial => 'pretty'         page[:test2].replace_html :partial => 'reptiles'           end

A friend of mine who is a mid-level rails developer thinks it might be impossible to avoid the breaks.

Show your code - both models with names and associations, and also your database table names and field names for both.

Here is the parent

class SpreadType < ActiveRecord::Base

has_many :spreads    has_many :customer_subscriptions    has_many :ghostlegs    has_many :abstractlegs

def index

end    def self.find_spread_names

find (:all)   end end

Here is the child that works:

class CustomerSubscription < ActiveRecord::Base   belongs_to :customer   belongs_to :underlying   belongs_to :spread_type end

Here is the child that doesn't work

class Ghostlegs < ActiveRecord::Base   belongs_to :spread_type end

Here is the creation code for the child that doesn't work:

class CreateGhostlegs < ActiveRecord::Migration   def self.up     create_table :ghostlegs do |t|       t.decimal :daystoexpire       t.decimal :distancefromunderlying       t.decimal :abstractratio       t.integer :corp       t.integer :spread_type_id

t.timestamps     end   end

def self.down     drop_table :ghostlegs   end end

And here is the migration code for the parent

class CreateSpreadTypes < ActiveRecord::Migration   def self.up     create_table :spread_types do |t|       t.string :name

t.timestamps     end   end

def self.down     drop_table :spread_types   end end

So maybe the underscore in the table name is what's confusing things? Or is that just FUD logic? Why does it work for one and not the other? Shouldn't it just generate the queries?

And here is the index file

<% for spread_type in SpreadType.find_spread_names%>     <%= spread_type.name %>

<%

# this loop works

for customer_subscription in spread_type.customer_subscriptions        %> <%= customer_subscription.customer_id %>        <%     end

# this loop does not work

# for ghostleg in spread_type.ghostlegs

class SpreadType < ActiveRecord::Base

has_many :spreads has_many :customer_subscriptions has_many :ghostlegs has_many :abstractlegs

[snip]

class Ghostlegs < ActiveRecord::Base belongs_to :spread_type end

has_many :ghostlegs will be looking for a class class Ghostleg in ghostleg.rb (similarly for abstractlegs)

Fred

On the page. I guess what I am trying to do is have an update in a division using a partial, with multiple divisions on the same line.

If you're talking about a <div> tag, it's a block-level element. If you want multiple divs side-by-side, you'll need to use the appropriate CSS to position them that way.

A friend of mine who is a mid-level rails developer thinks it might be impossible to avoid the breaks.

Rails does wonderful stuff, but it doesn't absolve *web* developers from the need to know HTML and CSS.

FWIW,

Thank you fred: That was it.

I had created it with the plural, and then was treating it as though I had created it with the singular.

If you're ever in Chicago, I'll buy you lunch.

And thanks for the reality check, Hassan & Brian.

This really is a very helpful forum. Thanks...