Strange thing with controller's helper method and method return value

1, why my helper method does not work    I hava a controller named msg, and i define a method test(id) in / app/helpers/msg_helper.rb    but i can not use this method in /app/controllers/ msg_controller.rb.    Can anyone tells me why ?Doedn't rails require msg_helper.rb for me ? 2, how can i use a hash type variable returned by a method   Because i can't use helper method, i write the method just in msg_controller.rb   like:   :private   def test(id)     xx = {}     xx[:test] = 1     return xx   end   and i find xx i get via xx = test(id) is nil   I think in ruby method hash type variable will be returned by value(or maybe reference, but the variable will not out of scope)   but why can i get the true value ? Thanks very much~~ My enviroment:   ruby 1.8.6 (2007-09-24 patchlevel 111) [i386-mswin32]   Rails 2.0.2   oracle 10

1, why my helper method does not work    I hava a controller named msg, and i define a method test(id) in / app/helpers/msg_helper.rb    but i can not use this method in /app/controllers/ msg_controller.rb.    Can anyone tells me why ?Doedn't rails require msg_helper.rb for me ?

A helper is simply a module containing methods that assist a view not your controller. If you want make method for your controller and tobe used to many controller you can put your method in application.rb

and i find xx i get via xx = test(id) is nil

Sorry I not understand what do you mean on sentences above.

> 1, why my helper method does not work > I hava a controller named msg, and i define a method test(id) in / > app/helpers/msg_helper.rb > but i can not use this method in /app/controllers/ > msg_controller.rb. > Can anyone tells me why ?Doedn't rails require msg_helper.rb for > me ?

A helper is simply a module containing methods that assist a view not your controller. If you want make method for your controller and tobe used to many controller you can put your method in application.rb

See a content I copy from "Agile Web Development with Rails 2nd" 18.1 Context and Dependencis   Rails handles many configuration dependencies automatically; as a developer   you can normally rely on it to do the right thing. For example, if a   request arrives for http://my.url/store/list, Rails will do the following.   1. Load the file store_controller.rb in the directory app/ controllers. (This      loading takes place only once in a production environment).   2. Instantiate an object of class StoreController. @@@ 3. Look in app/helpers for a file called store_helper.rb. If found, it is loaded       and the module StoreHelper is mixed into the controller object.   4. Look in the directory app/models for a model in the file store.rb and     load it if found. Do you see 3 ? is rails 2.0.2 changes this ?

> and i find xx i get via xx = test(id) is nil

I mean , test(id) is supposed to renturn a hash with value {:text => 1} but actually , it returns nil or {} You can have a simple test Add this to one of your controller   def test_action       new = {}       value = test_method       new.merge(value)       render :text => new[:text]   end   :private    def test_method()     value = {:text => 1}     return value    end Then visit http://root/controller/test_action to see what it returns Actually, 'value' returned by test_method is something like

flash: !map:ActionController::Flash::FlashHash   :value: &id001     :text: 1   :value: *id001 I think new.merge(value) makes this Can anyone tells me more details ? Thanks!

1, why my helper method does not work    I hava a controller named msg, and i define a method test(id)
in / app/helpers/msg_helper.rb    but i can not use this method in /app/controllers/ msg_controller.rb.    Can anyone tells me why ?Doedn't rails require msg_helper.rb for me ?

See a content I copy from "Agile Web Development with Rails 2nd" 18.1 Context and Dependencis Rails handles many configuration dependencies automatically; as a developer you can normally rely on it to do the right thing. For example, if a request arrives for http://my.url/store/list, Rails will do the following. 1. Load the file store_controller.rb in the directory app/ controllers. (This     loading takes place only once in a production environment). 2. Instantiate an object of class StoreController. @@@ 3. Look in app/helpers for a file called store_helper.rb. If found, it is loaded      and the module StoreHelper is mixed into the controller object. 4. Look in the directory app/models for a model in the file store.rb and    load it if found.

That's just wrong - it's never been like that.

Do you see 3 ? is rails 2.0.2 changes this ?

and i find xx i get via xx = test(id) is nil

I mean , test(id) is supposed to renturn a hash with value {:text => 1} but actually , it returns nil or {} You can have a simple test Add this to one of your controller def test_action      new = {}      value = test_method      new.merge(value)

merge doesn't alter the hash, it returns a new hash with the merge
contents (merge! does an inplace merge)

Fred

emm... Just basic knowledges... I almost spent two hours on it ... Thank you very much~~~