Strange send_file problem

Or perhaps I am stumbling in newbie fashion (tho I have active_merchant and a store site basically up and running in development mode - still I don't feel I always understand what is going on.)

So, when I have   send_file(filename, :type => 'application/x-zip')   redirect :action => index

the send_file seems to hang, rather than complete. I'm deducing this because of errors that happen after the send_file. When I try to navigate from the page containing 'send_file' to another page, I get an error with a trace indicating that it has not been able to complete the redirect.

If the send_file is followed by a 'redirect :action => index' the redirect is never executed.

If I comment out the send_file, the redirect is always executed.

What is the problem here? I'm stumped. thanks much!

Here is the relevant portion of the trace, see the download/redirect stuff: er.rb:173:in `start_thread' /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:162:in `start_thread' /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:95:in `start' /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:92:in `start' /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:23:in `start' /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:82:in `start' /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.1.6/lib/webrick_server.rb:67:in `dispatch' /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.1.6/lib/commands/servers/webrick.rb:59 /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in `require' /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.3.1/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:147:in `require' /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.1.6/lib/commands/server.rb:30 /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in `require' /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.3.1/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:147:in `require' script/server:3</code></pre>     </div>       <div id="Full-Trace" style="display: none;">

<pre><code>/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.12.5/lib/action_controller/base.rb:840:in `redirect_to' /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.12.5/lib/action_controller/base.rb:854:in `redirect_to' app/controllers/products_controller.rb:167:in `download_vbj_product' /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.12.5/lib/action_controller/base.rb:941:in `perform_action_without_filters'

Getting rid of the redirect fixed it, thanks! note I couldn't use render :action => index either, same problem there.

this group is a great help.