Strange behaviour

I have the following relationships:

Document :has_many Proposals :has_many ProposalVersions.

This fails:

Document.first.proposals.first.proposal_versions.size

=> 0

But this works:

Proposal.find(1).proposal_versions.size

=> 2

Here's the SQL from the first statement:

SELECT count(*) AS count_all FROM "proposal_versions" WHERE ("proposal_versions".proposal_id = 2)

The failing SQL in the first example seems really dangerous, because it apparently picks an ID at random (and this obviously works also with non-count queries, resulting in possibly returning the wrong set of data:

Where does the '2' come from? Neither Document or Proposal has ID 2, they're both ID 1.

Is this expected behaviour?

I'm on rails 2.2.1 (eh, 2.2 RC2). Linux. SQlite.

This fails:>> Document.first.proposals.first.proposal_versions.size

Do you mean Document.find(:first)... ?

=> 0

But this works:>> Proposal.find(1).proposal_versions.size

=> 2

Here's the SQL from the first statement:

SELECT count(*) AS count_all FROM "proposal_versions" WHERE ("proposal_versions".proposal_id = 2)

The failing SQL in the first example seems really dangerous, because it apparently picks an ID at random (and this obviously works also with non-count queries, resulting in possibly returning the wrong set of data:

Where does the '2' come from? Neither Document or Proposal has ID 2, they're both ID 1.

Is this expected behaviour?

I'm on rails 2.2.1 (eh, 2.2 RC2). Linux. SQlite.

-- Daniel Bush

ActiveRecord::Base::first is a convenience wrapper for ActiveRecord::Base::find(:first), according to the API. So I can't quite see why that should make a difference.

This fails:>> Document.first.proposals.first.proposal_versions.size

Do you mean Document.find(:first)... ?

ActiveRecord::Base::first is a convenience wrapper for ActiveRecord::Base::find(:first), according to the API. So I can't quite see why that should make a difference.

is there a document/proposal with id=2 (you've sort of implied that
there isn't, but I'm not quite sure)

Fred

Sorry. Wasn't familiar with it. Hard to imagine rails putting in a random id. Can only surmise that   Document.first.proposals.first.id==2 I don't think any order is guaranteed either unless you've specified :order somewhere so it may change randomly depending on your database. Maybe you added a new proposal with no proposal versions in addition to proposal with id=1. Or a new document even.