store image as blob or as file pointers

Hi    This is a general implementation question..I am using different company logos in my application..And I am familiar with saving these images as file pointers in the DB..What I am asking is if I directly save this images to DB as blob(for example image data type in postgres) what are the advantages and is there any disadvantage in terms of performance?

Thanks in advance Sijo

This is a general implementation question..I am using different company logos in my application..And I am familiar with saving these images as file pointers in the DB..What I am asking is if I directly save this images to DB as blob(for example image data type in postgres) what are the advantages and is there any disadvantage in terms of performance?

If you google you'll find lots of discussion about this. I've done it both ways for different reasons.

The most recent was user avatars. On average they were under 4kb in size. I decided keeping them in the database made my life easier. On render I would then cache them disk and sweep them when necessary.

Best of both worlds.

It also meant I could add front end servers as necessary and not have to worry about syncing images on disk around.

You need to decide how many images, how large, etc...

-philip

Mine preferred solution is media files stored on file system It is somehow more flexible solution. The image in database have tendency to be part of select statement even if not required, particularly on project with bunch of unexpired developers or new team members.

Every particular solution has pros and cons and it's is about your project requirements and future plans.

Hi    thanks for all the reply..Actually I was planning to store only some logos maximum 20, of size average 10 kb

Sijo

For 20 logos, 10kb size, I would recommend storing them in the database and caching them as they are rendered.

Unless you are using a distributed cache, though, I don't know how uploading a new avatar on (say) host 1 and then clearing it from host 2's cache will work though. I would be tempted to cache them for a maximum time as well and refresh them as needed.

I have one model in most of my apps that use images. It only has an ID, image format, image size, and image data. I don't store avatars with the user table, for instance. This image model is only used in two cases: one, when rendering the HTML link info, and again when rendering the actual image data. I don't fetch the image data when finding the size.

If you have a local cache, you could write the image data when retrieving the size as well, since it's pretty likely the request will come soon.

--Michael