Still Using old Rails even after Upgrade

I was recently forced to upgrade to Rails 2.3.5 because of a problem with gem. After doing so, I'm trying to create a new site and I noticed that I am getting warnings for depricated commands and it looks like I'm running on my old Rails version 1.2.3?

Can anyone help me fix this so I am running on the newer version?

I am getting this message when I run script/generate:

[computer1][/work/blog]$ ./script/generate controller home index ./script/../config/boot.rb:26:Warning: Gem::SourceIndex#search support for String patterns is deprecated, use #find_name /usr/local/ruby-1.8.6/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.3/lib/rails_generator/lookup.rb:198:Warning: Gem::SourceIndex#search support for Regexp patterns is deprecated, use #find_name

Thanks

jack

Uninstall the old version? If it's not there, it can't run!   sudo gem remove rails -v1.2.3

You might find though that the problems are caused by using different use accounts when you installed the gems... I've had issues like this in the past when I've installed some components as my user, and some as root... cue very temperamental problems!

When I try to start Webrick, it is still trying to load the old path:

./script/server ./script/../config/boot.rb:26:Warning: Gem::SourceIndex#search support for String patterns is deprecated, use #find_name /usr/local/ruby-1.8.6/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:31:in `gem_original_require': no such file to load -- /usr/local/ruby-1.8.6/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.3/lib/initializer (LoadError)         from /usr/local/ruby-1.8.6/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:31:in `require'         from ./script/../config/boot.rb:30         from ./script/server:2:in `require'         from ./script/server:2

The new libraray exists here: /usr/local/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-2.3.5

How do I tell it to boot from this version?

thanks

jack

Michael Pavling wrote:

Quoting jackster the jackle <lists@ruby-forum.com>:

I was recently forced to upgrade to Rails 2.3.5 because of a problem with gem. After doing so, I'm trying to create a new site and I noticed that I am getting warnings for depricated commands and it looks like I'm running on my old Rails version 1.2.3?

Have you locked the application to the old version of Rails. Is a line like this in config/environment.rb?

# Specifies gem version of Rails to use when vendor/rails is not present RAILS_GEM_VERSION = '2.3.5' unless defined? RAILS_GEM_VERSION

I was recently forced to upgrade to Rails 2.3.5 because of a problem

with gem.

After doing so, I’m trying to create a new site and I noticed that I am

getting warnings for depricated commands and it looks like I’m running

on my old Rails version 1.2.3?

Can anyone help me fix this so I am running on the newer version?

I am getting this message when I run script/generate:

[computer1][/work/blog]$ ./script/generate controller home index

./script/…/config/boot.rb:26:Warning: Gem::SourceIndex#search support

for String patterns is deprecated, use #find_name

/usr/local/ruby-1.8.6/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.3/lib/rails_generator/lookup.rb:198:Warning:

Gem::SourceIndex#search support for Regexp patterns is deprecated, use

#find_name

Thanks

jack

Jack, after upgrading your Rails version, you need to update

your individual application(s) by doing the following:

a) update your environment.rb to use the new Rails version

number

b) execute - rake rails:update

Good luck,

-Conrad

that worked but now I'm getting

require_frameworks': no such file to load -- openssl (RuntimeError)

when I try to run Webrick.

From what I'm reading, I need to install openssl-dev but since this is a hosting server, I don't have access to a package handler so I contacted web support.

Do you guys recommend that I run Rails under Apache or through Webrick?

thanks

jack

that worked but now I'm getting

What worked? If you trim the whole previous message, no one knows what you're replying to...

require_frameworks': no such file to load -- openssl (RuntimeError)

when I try to run Webrick.

From what I'm reading, I need to install openssl-dev

From what I've seen of posts from people with the same problem, that does seem to form part of the answer.

Do you guys recommend that I run Rails under Apache or through Webrick?

For development or live servers? For live, I'd certainly avoid Webrick, as Apache/Passenger or NGinx is much better/faster/easier/reliable. Although to be honest, for development I avoid Webrick to, and use Mongrel :slight_smile: