standard ActiveRecord validation message

in testing my app I just use the validations

validates_presence_of :first_name, :last_name, :email   validates_presence_of :academy, :message => "You must select an Academy"   validates_presence_of :role, :message => "You must select a role"

standard error_messages are fine for most of my fields , resulting in :

5 errors prohibited this data from being saved There were problems with the following fields: # Last name can't be blank # Email can't be blank # First name can't be blank

but 2 messages are a little bit confusing : # Role You must select a role # Academy You must select an Academy

the model names are embedded into the error message... how can I suppress them and get only the message.... # You must select a role # You must select an Academy

thanks fyh

erwin

Thanks , I just realized that it was not the Model names, but rather the field names in my User model... you're right that's fine now...

btw , is there any way to get the error messages in a sequence similar to the textfields sequence... ? I doubt as it's a hash and so non-ordered , but ...

Erwin

Yeah, sorry, I meant the model attribute and meant model.

I'm not sure how you would arrange the error messages in a specific order like that, but you can place them alongside each field.

For example, in my app I use:

ActionView::Base.field_error_proc = Proc.new do |html_tag, instance|   if html_tag =~ /label for/     if instance.error_message.kind_of?(Array)       %(<span class="validation-error">#{html_tag} #{instance.error_message.join(', and ')}.</span>)     else       %(<span class="validation-error">#{html_tag} #{instance.error_message}.</span>)     end   else   %(#{html_tag})   end end

(I realize that code isn't very neat - I wrote it a few months ago and it's worked fine, so I haven't touched it since.)

And then my forms look like:

<p>   <b><%= f.label :name %></b><br />   <%= f.text_field :name, :size => 50 %> </p> <p>   <b><%= f.label :email %></b><br />   <%= f.text_field :email, :size => 50 %> </p> <p>   <b><%= f.label :password %></b><br />   <%= f.password_field :password, :size => 50 %> </p>

And in my CSS file: span.validation-error{color:red}

So, whenever the form is submitted and has errors, the labels are replaced with the error messages in red.

So this: Email (email text field)

becomes

Email is too short, and does not look valid (email text field)

Anyway, that's my solution, and I think it looks nice, but of course feel free to be creative.

Chris Hanks wrote:

Yeah, sorry, I meant the model attribute and meant model.

Geez, I am not articulating myself clearly today. I meant the model attribute and SAID model.