specify Rails version when creating a new application

I have been testing out Rails 3 beta4, but want to create a test application in Rails 2.3.8. So, i installed the Rails version that i wanted, sudo gem install rails -v=2.3.8. Now when i try to create my application, using rails myTestApp -v=2.3.8, I get the rails help screen. Looking over it, I can't seem to find the option to specify the version of rails that I want to target.

Cheers, Jason

Usage:   rails new APP_PATH [options]

Options:   -G, [--skip-git] # Skip Git ignores and keeps   -b, [--builder=BUILDER] # Path to an application builder (can be a filesystem path or URL)   -r, [--ruby=PATH] # Path to the Ruby binary of your choice                              # Default: /Users/silliemunkie/Developer/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.8.7-p248/bin/ruby       [--edge] # Setup the application with Gemfile pointing to Rails repository       [--dev] # Setup the application with Gemfile pointing to your Rails checkout       [--skip-gemfile] # Don't create a Gemfile   -d, [--database=DATABASE] # Preconfigure for selected database (options: mysql/oracle/postgresql/sqlite3/frontbase/ibm_db)                              # Default: sqlite3   -O, [--skip-activerecord] # Skip ActiveRecord files   -J, [--skip-prototype] # Skip Prototype files   -T, [--skip-testunit] # Skip TestUnit files   -m, [--template=TEMPLATE] # Path to an application template (can be a filesystem path or URL).

Runtime options:   -s, [--skip] # Skip files that already exist   -f, [--force] # Overwrite files that already exist   -p, [--pretend] # Run but do not make any changes   -q, [--quiet] # Supress status output

Rails options:   -v, [--version] # Show Rails version number and quit   -h, [--help] # Show this help message and quit

Description:     The 'rails new' command creates a new Rails application with a default     directory structure and configuration at the path you specify.

Example:     rails new ~/Code/Ruby/weblog

This generates a skeletal Rails installation in ~/Code/Ruby/weblog.     See the README in the newly created application to get going.

Try:

rails 2.3.8 <app_name>

-Ashwin

Jason,

While the suggestion of using `rails _2.3.8_ <app_name>` will probably work, I would highly suggest using RVM gemsets to help segregate your Rails3 beta apps from your Rails 2.3.8 stable apps. This way you can have one environment with Rails3 and all of its dependencies and another separate environment for Rails 2.3 and the libraries it needs. You will be very happy with it down the road. It appears you already have RVM installed, so it should be simple to get started. Check out the docs at http://rvm.beginrescueend.com/gemsets/.

Good luck! Joe

unfortunately I get the same results

Joe,     thanks for the reply. i'm going to have to dig deeper into using RVM. it seems very powerful, and i'm not taking advantage of it.

cheers, Jason