Some RJS Help

I think this is quite basic.

If I want to run some RJS effects on an element, but I'm not sure that the element will be there or not, how do I stop an error occurring?

e.g. page['test'].visual_effect :highlight

gives an error alert if there is no element with the id of 'test'.

I've got it to work by using:

page['test'].visual_effect :highlight unless page['test'].empty?

but that doesn't seem the best way to do it. What is the recommended way to do this?

thanks,

DAZ

that doesn't do what you think it does (take a look at the javascript that is generated) I wrote about this a few weeks ago: Conditional RJS explained - Space Vatican

Fred

Hi DAZ,

DAZ wrote:

If I want to run some RJS effects on an element, but I'm not sure that the element will be there or not, how do I stop an error occurring?

but that doesn't seem the best way to do it. What is the recommended way to do this?

I don't know about the 'recommended' part (your approach doen't seem 'flawed' to me), but RJS let's you test for the presence of a DOM element using CSS-based selectors.

Assuming you've got an element with an id='test', you might try... page.select "#test"    page['test'].visual_effect :highlight end

HTH, Bill

Hi DAZ,

DAZ wrote:

I don't know about the 'recommended' part (your approach doen't seem 'flawed' to me), but RJS let's you test for the presence of a DOM
element using CSS-based selectors.

Assuming you've got an element with an id='test', you might try... page.select "#test"   page['test'].visual_effect :highlight end

That won't do much, but page.select("#test").each {|element| element.visual_effect :highlight}

should do the trick Fred

Hi DAZ,

I don't know about the 'recommended' part (your approach doen't seem 'flawed' to me), but RJS let's you test for the presence of a DOM element using CSS-based selectors.

Assuming you've got an element with an id='test', you might try... page.select "#test" page['test'].visual_effect :highlight end

Sigh. that will work (and is basically the same as what I wrote) as long as you add the 'do' that I'm sure you meant to write.

Fred

Hi Fred,

Frederick Cheung wrote:

> Assuming you've got an element with an id='test', > you might try... > page.select "#test" > page['test'].visual_effect :highlight > end

That won't do much, but

Oops ;-p You're right. That should have been... if page.select "#test"

page.select("#test").each {|element| element.visual_effect :highlight}

should do the trick

Yep. OTOH, I prefer the 'if' since, IMHO, it reinforces the requirement that DOM ids are unique, whereas it seems to me that the select might not.

Best regards, Bill

Oops ;-p You're right. That should have been... if page.select "#test"

> page.select("#test").each {|element| element.visual_effect :highlight}

> should do the trick

Yep. OTOH, I prefer the 'if' since, IMHO, it reinforces the requirement

The if doesn't work though (since that's a ruby if, ie a server side if). if you want to use an if then you need a javascript one, ie

page << "if($('foo')){" ... page << "}"

that DOM ids are unique, whereas it seems to me that the select might not.

the select should be unique, it's a bad idea to have multiple dom elements with the same id.

Fred

Thanks for the feedback on this guys. It's all been very useful to know. It seems like this is quite a common occurrence (the need to check if an element exists before doing something to it) - it seems strange that an RJS helper doesn't exist for it - resorting to feeding in JS using page << seems to bit hackish....

DAZ

ARG. That's ugly. My bad.

Best regards, Bill

Hi DAZ,

DAZ wrote:

It seems like this is quite a common occurrence (the need to check if an element exists before doing something to it) - it seems strange that an RJS helper doesn't exist for it - resorting to feeding in JS using page << seems to bit hackish....

An RJS helper does exist. The 'select'. Thanks to Fred, we now know it just needs to be used as he recommends: in a block rather than an 'if then else' His statement re: using page << wasn't a recommendation; just a 'if that's how you what to do it, this is the syntax you'll have to use'. I'd use his earlier (and better tested than mine) recommend solution.

Best regards, Bill

Thanks for the feedback on this guys. It's all been very useful to know. It seems like this is quite a common occurrence (the need to check if an element exists before doing something to it) - it seems strange that an RJS helper doesn't exist for it - resorting to feeding in JS using page << seems to bit hackish....

if you read the blog post I linked to there is a plugin with helpers for this. At a basic level I'd say large amounts of complicated javascript in rjs isn't really a great idea.

Fred