Some basic help on creating "friends" that are "users?"

New to RoR, trying to model this correctly (which should be super simple I’d think, but I’m stuck at the moment):

Any given “User” of the app can have a group of “friends” (where friends are also users.) (think typical facebook friends concept.)

I know I should have a ‘user_friends’ table that has two user_ids as fks to the User table one for the user and the other to hold multiple ‘friends’

My first shot is looking like this…

class User < ActiveRecord::Base acts_as_authentic has_many :user_friends, :dependent => :destroy has_many :friends, :class_name => “User”, :foreign_key => “friend_id”, :through => :user_friends, :dependent => :destroy

end

class UserFriend < ActiveRecord::Base belongs_to :user belongs_to :user, :class_name => “User”, :foreign_key => “friend_id” end

#migration class CreateUserFriends < ActiveRecord::Migration

def self.up create_table :user_friends, :id => false do |t| t.integer :user_id t.integer :friend_id t.timestamps end end

When I run my test, it barfs saying

Failures:

1. User should create a user and some friends Failure/Error: user.friends << f1 << f2 Could not find the source association(s) :user_friends in model UserFriend. Try ‘has_many :friends, :through => :user_friends, :source => ’. Is it one of :user?

Where my test looks like:

it “should create a user and some friends” do user = Factory.create(:user_rick) f1 = Factory.create(:user_rachel) f2 = Factory.create(:user_fred) user.friends << f1 << f2

Solved, I had to change UserFriend to:

class UserFriend < ActiveRecord::Base belongs_to :user belongs_to :friend, :class_name => “User”, :foreign_key => “friend_id” end

(Yes, I’ll remove the unnecessary foreign_key declarations as well.)