So I"m sure someone has come across this before...but how do you fix the gem_original_require problem?

I get this when trying to install gems: /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in `gem_original_require': no such file to load -- rdoc/rdoc (LoadError)

The trouble is, I also get it when trying to install rubygems...so I wound up installing 0.9.4. I can't seem to get an earlier version on the machine...

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ron

Hi Ron,

I get this when trying to install gems: /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in `gem_original_require': no such file to load -- rdoc/rdoc (LoadError)

The trouble is, I also get it when trying to install rubygems...so I wound up installing 0.9.4. I can't seem to get an earlier version on the machine...

Any ideas?

I'm not entirely sure this is the issue, but it appears that you're
trying to install the gems on a system that only has ruby installed,
but not the other ruby-tools like irb, ir, rdoc, etc.

You can either try skipping the RDoc documentation generation when
installing the gems ('gem help install' and look for the --no-rdoc
option), or else install the packages that provide the above mentioned
tools:

e.g. in case you're using yum on linux:

~ $ yum list installed 'ruby*' Loading "installonlyn" plugin Loading "downloadonly" plugin Installed Packages ruby.i386 1.8.5.35-2.fc5
installed ruby-devel.i386 1.8.5.35-2.fc5
installed ruby-irb.i386 1.8.5.35-2.fc5
installed ruby-libs.i386 1.8.5.35-2.fc5
installed ruby-rdoc.i386 1.8.5.35-2.fc5
installed ruby-ri.i386 1.8.5.35-2.fc5
installed ~ $ _

Hope this helps,

Peter

Hi Ron,

I'm not entirely sure this is the issue, but it appears that you're trying to install the gems on a system that only has ruby installed, but not the other ruby-tools like irb, ir, rdoc, etc.

You can either try skipping the RDoc documentation generation when installing the gems ('gem help install' and look for the --no-rdoc option), or else install the packages that provide the above mentioned tools:

e.g. in case you're using yum on linux:

~ $ yum list installed 'ruby*' Loading "installonlyn" plugin Loading "downloadonly" plugin Installed Packages ruby.i386 1.8.5.35-2.fc5 installed ruby-devel.i386 1.8.5.35-2.fc5 installed ruby-irb.i386 1.8.5.35-2.fc5 installed ruby-libs.i386 1.8.5.35-2.fc5 installed ruby-rdoc.i386 1.8.5.35-2.fc5 installed ruby-ri.i386 1.8.5.35-2.fc5 installed ~ $ _

Hope this helps,

Peter