slow will_pagination

Hi,

I am realizing my first application in Rails (with tutorials), I implement a pagination solution with will_paginate gem, it works well but the problem is: changing pages is very slow and I think the query is executed every time the page is changing Is there a solution to get faster pagination I am thinking about redis, is there a way to use it with will_paginate

the query : User.find(:all,:order => "name") (I am using mysql)

regards,

Hi,

I am realizing my first application in Rails (with tutorials), I implement a pagination solution with will_paginate gem, it works well but the problem is: changing pages is very slow and I think the query is executed every time the page is changing Is there a solution to get faster pagination I am thinking about redis, is there a way to use it with will_paginate

the query : User.find(:all,:order => "name")

When using paginate you should not be finding all records, only the ones you need for the page. Does your tutorial cover this? I would have expected it to be something like @users = User.paginate :page => params[:page], :per_page => 10, :order => 'name'

However unless you have thousands of users I would not have expected this to be an issue. If you are running in development mode you can look in development.log to see how long the queries take.

If you are sorting on name you should probably have a database index on that field, but again unless you have many users I would not have expected to see a problem.

If you are running in development mode then you can expect it to be slower than in production because it will load all the files at each request, in production they are cached. The reason for this is so that in development mode you do not need to restart the server if you change a file.

Colin

thx for ur answer, Yes I am working on dev env and it can explain the slowness in server log, I see that every time I change the page it execute a sql query using limit and offset regards,