slow ruby execution on FreeBSD

Howdy,

Total green-horn here. A few weeks ago, a test website we were bulding (on freebsd with mysql) slowed waaaay down.

I **believe** I have the problem narrowed down to this line of code in /vendor/rails/railties/lib/initializer.rb: configuration.frameworks.each { |framework| require(framework.to_s) }

I Say I think I've got it narrowed doen to this line of code, because I have it flanked by puts "AAA" and puts "BBB", and whenever I execute: config/environment.rb there is a ~6 second pause between AAA and BBB to STDOUT.

Like I've said (and I'm sure you would have realized by now), I am a total greenhorn here, but: 1) Is this pause to be expected, or have I stumbled upon the issue? 2) What does this line (configuration.frameworks.each { |framework| require(framework.to_s) }) mean? Can someone point me to the next file/line to look? 3) Any ideas?

Also, I **believe** this is running with fastcgi, but how can I confirm / troubleshoot this?

I really appreciate it! Guy

This is FANTASTIC, and you are a genious. Now, can you tell me:

1) Is it normal (on a 3 gHz server with 32 GB of memory that is doing NOTHING ELSE) that these would take ~ 2 seconds each?: Sun Apr 22 12:52:34 -0700 2007 loading: active_record Sun Apr 22 12:52:36 -0700 2007 loading: action_controller Sun Apr 22 12:52:38 -0700 2007 loading: action_view

2) Where can I look to find these active_record, action_controller, and action_view? Are these files that I can drill down further into to find where time is being spent?

Thanks Harald!!!