single table relation, newbee question

I am not sure if I shall use single table inheritance, or something else.

I have a model called horses, in that I have the columns mother_id and father_id where I of course intend to store the id of that horses mother and father. By that information alone I want to create a relation in the horses model for any horse to its mother and father. I wish to write something like @horse.mother.name

I can't understand what to do with the type column in this case. This should really be quite simple I guess.

Would appreciate some help.

Thanks

Have a look at the guide on ActiveRecord Associations at http://guides.rubyonrails.org/ and the magic of Rails will become clear. Also, if you have not already done so work through the Getting Started guide.

Colin

This is the problem that the relational database model was designed to solve in the first place. I would recommend learning the basics of database management if you don't yet have any background. Single-table inheritance is a relatively new approach that developed out of object- relational mapping.

Activerecord is magic when it comes to working with relations. I would highly recommend Eldon Alameda's book "Foundation Rails 2."

I just wrote a 3-part article on Rails STI here: