Simplest Warden Implementation

I'm trying to create the most simple Rails wrapper for Warden I can for my own learning experience. Warden's maintainer also has rails_warden, but I'd like to simplify that even further. (http://github.com/hassox/rails_warden)

I currently have a warden.rb initializer with the following:

Rails.configuration.middleware.use Warden::Manager do |manager|       manager.default_strategies :password       manager.failure_app = UserSessionsController     end

Warden::Manager.before_failure do |env, opts|       env['action_dispatch.request.path_parameters'][:action] = "new"     end

Warden::Manager.serialize_into_session do |user|       user.id     end

Warden::Manager.serialize_from_session do |id|       User.find(id)     end

Warden::Strategies.add(:password) do       def valid?         params[:email] || params[:password]       end       def authenticate!         u = User.authenticate(params[:email], params[:password])         u.nil? ? fail!("authentication error from warden") : success!(u)       end     end

This code only works fine if I include the rails_warden gem. If I don't, every Rails' request will fail with an:

"Internal Server Error: uninitialized constant ActionMailer::Base"

Even if I include all of the rails_warden code as a library locally before the initializer it will fail. I can only get it to work with the gem included, but I'm failing to see what the gem is doing to Warden or Rails that the above code is not.

Also, if I choose to use my own Rails Metal application as the Warden failure app, all is well, even without the gem. The error only arrise when I choose a Rails controller as the failure app.

Again, I'm just trying to find the simplest possible Warden implementation. My searches have given me nothing, and I'm not interested in Devise, or any other authentication engine, this is only for my own learning experience.

Best, Ted