simple tables question

Sorry for this rudimentary question... I've been following Pragprog's rails book, and somehow I'm still missing something basic:

I need to make a table (class) where one of the columns' (attributes') type is an array of objects of another class. In other words, I need to know how to implement a phone-book list, where you can click on the name of the entry and be taken to that person's, say, bank info.

Does anybody know of any guides that might walk me through this, or be able to give me a rough picture of what needs to be done so I can figure it out myself?

Thanks.

Sorry for this rudimentary question... I've been following Pragprog's rails book, and somehow I'm still missing something basic:

I need to make a table (class) where one of the columns' (attributes') type is an array of objects of another class. In other words, I need to know how to implement a phone-book list, where you can click on the name of the entry and be taken to that person's, say, bank info.

Does anybody know of any guides that might walk me through this, or be able to give me a rough picture of what needs to be done so I can figure it out myself?

I think you want two separate models... where one has many of the other.

That is...

class Contact << AR..    has_many :phone_numbers end

class PhoneNumber << AR..    belongs_to :contact end

Your sql table "phone_numbers" would then have a "contact_id" field.

-philip