simple Select can't find my Selected index lol

Hi,

Again I can't get my head around a simple RoR drop down.

for my first drop down all a need is a simple number list which I have in the "ascential" controller def index     @size = [12,13,14,15,16,16.5,17,18,19,212,13,0,21,22,23,24] end ( I have a tire model and I want to be able to display all my tires based on the drop down search criteria from the "ascential" index view)

when I've looked up ruby and selects in most all are in a form_for. I don't know why I would need a form_for in this case.

Form_for refers to a model. But I have no model I need to refer to I simpley want these options to be shown, which I can do from an array. In my index I have

<div id="by_size">       Size:&nbsp;&nbsp;        <select id="search_size">              <% for size in @size %>             <option><%=h size %>"</option>           <%end%>        </select>      <div id="search_button"><%= link_to 'Search' ,:controller => "ascential", :action => "tire_result", :id => 16%></div>

This gives me a drop down with the options filled with the correct numbers. I need to figure out how to get :id to equal the selected index of "search_size"

my brain wants to see some thing like " :id => search_size.selected_index" but I don't know how ruby calls selected indexes with out the form_for.

So if I have to use Form_for ...to do drop downs... then I have to refer to a model. So would I put the @size array in a "ascentail" model and refer to it

how do I structure a form_for that isn't submiting any thing..

SO I think that I have set it up all wrong but I can't seem to get my head around how to start it.

the link_to works if :id equals a number

Or should I just make it all javascript. how would I apply a strictly javascript selected index to a ror method?

Yikes this is bad

when I've looked up ruby and selects in most all are in a form_for. I don't know why I would need a form_for in this case.

Form_for refers to a model. But I have no model I need to refer to I simpley want these options to be shown, which I can do from an array. In my index I have

If I were you I'd use select_tag/options_for_select rather than generating all that html by hand. You can use form_tag instead of form_for if there is no model to bind to.

Fred

ok I'll try reading into that more.

thanks