Simple and flexible authorization system action_control

Hi guys!

I’ve created a simple Gem called action_control primarily to authorize users separately for every action. it’s a pretty simple and small Gem currently.

I would appreciate it, if you take a look on it and help to improve and extend.

Thank you very much!

Happy coding :slight_smile:

Tobias Feistmantl

Twitter: @T_Feistmantl

Github: tobiasfeistmantl

StackOverflow: Tobias

Hi guys!

(and gals)

I've created a simple Gem called action_control primarily to authorize users separately for every action. it's a pretty simple and small Gem currently.

I would appreciate it, if you take a look on it and help to improve and extend.

At first glance, this looks really useful. It's got a feeling of "CanCan without so much magic" and I think that it could be a very useful teaching tool, since it lays out what it does in such a declarative manner. Excited to see where this goes! I am a big fan of "more code" versus "less code", because the more code is self-documenting.

Walter

Hi Walter!

Thanks for your response!

Yes ActionControl is much more lightweight (probably also because I started it as recently as yesterday ;)) than CanCanCan and the other Gems. The main reason I’ve created this Gem was because I don’t like the way CanCanCan stores the authorization code. You have to store everything in Policy classes and somehow have a “connection” between your model and the authorization. With ActionControl the check is always done in the controller in which the authorization is placed.

But of course there are a lot more things to do to make ActionControl great. The first what i can think of would be test helpers, view helpers and to fix the known issues.

I will do my best to improve ActionControl and implement all these cool things and as I already said I would appreciate any help.

Thanks

Tobias