£ sign not printing

Over a year ago I posted a question about why my £sign was printing in
one of my page and not in another although the code was the same. I
went through checking database type, collation etc and changing from
Unicode to LatinX etc. in the layout all to no avail. I temporarily
solved the problem by using £ or £ in brackets. I found the
answer a few days ago. It was the word processor used. I probably used
Ultraedit for one or notepad or Textmate or even Word for the other.
The coding in the wordprocessor was to blame. I found out when I
copied the RoR code from one page that was not working to the one that
was and after changing the controller code as well; "voila" it worked.