Show a value in view

Hello All, I am working on a microblogging application.(similar to twitter) In my controller there is a method called replypopUp.It is a method that runs when the reply link on timeline is clicked.When I a click on the link a pop-up appears in which there is a text area and a post button.Inside the text area,the name of the user to whom I am replying should appear in the form '@username:' Now in my controller method I am taking that user's name using     @posted_by_name = params[:posted_by] In my view my text area looks like this

<textarea name="message" id="message" maxlength ="400" style="overflow:auto;width:100%;height: 56px ;"onkeyup="checkPostFieldLength(message,'remaining', 400);"onkeydown="checkPostFieldLength(message,'remaining', 400);"onmouseout="checkPostFieldLength(message,'remaining', 400);">@< %=h @posted_by_name %>:</textarea>

The text within <% %> is the username I am trying to paste by default inside the text area However when I run the application,I only get" @:" in the text area.The name of the user does not appear. I have also tried to check using http watch,and I see the url being passed correctly,so there is no chance of params[:posted_by] being taken as a null value. Kindly let me know if my way of displaying the valaue is incorrect.If yes how should I display it in my view?

Thanks in Advance

Regards Chandrika

Hello All, I am working on a microblogging application.(similar to twitter) In my controller there is a method called replypopUp.It is a method that runs when the reply link on timeline is clicked.When I a click on the link a pop-up appears in which there is a text area and a post button.Inside the text area,the name of the user to whom I am replying should appear in the form '@username:' Now in my controller method I am taking that user's name using @posted_by_name = params[:posted_by]

Use ruby-debug (see the Rails Guide on debugging if you do not know how to do this) to break in here and examine @posted_by_name

In my view my text area looks like this

<textarea name="message" id="message" maxlength ="400" style="overflow:auto;width:100%;height: 56px ;"onkeyup="checkPostFieldLength(message,'remaining', 400);"onkeydown="checkPostFieldLength(message,'remaining', 400);"onmouseout="checkPostFieldLength(message,'remaining', 400);">@< %=h @posted_by_name %>:</textarea>

What happens if you just have, just to check it is not an issue with the text area <p>@<%= h posted_by_name %>:</p>

The text within <% %> is the username I am trying to paste by default inside the text area However when I run the application,I only get" @:" in the text area.The name of the user does not appear. I have also tried to check using http watch,and I see the url being passed correctly,so there is no chance of params[:posted_by] being taken as a null value.

You can check the params by looking in log/development.log.

Colin

Hi, I tried executing the below statement and it just gave me "@:"

What happens if you just have, just to check it is not an issue with the text area <p>@<%= h posted_by_name %>:</p>

Regards Chandrika

I meant @posted_by_name of course. Sorry.

By the way could you not top post please, it makes it difficult to follow the thread. Insert your reply at appropriate point(s) in previous message. Thanks

Colin

Hi, I also tried <p>@<%=h @posted_by_name.inspect %>:</p> and it gave

@nil:

Some null value being returned from URL. Thanks for the help.

Regards Chandrika

Hi,

By the way could you not top post please, it makes it difficult to follow the thread. Insert your reply at appropriate point(s) in previous message. Thanks

I also tried <p>@<%=h @posted_by_name.inspect %>:</p> and it gave

@nil:

In that case, obviously, @posted_by_name is nil. What did you see when you used ruby-debug to break into the controller code?

Colin

Hi Colin, Sorry for the email clutter. I am actually working on jRuby on Rails. And the organisation I work in allows only the approved gems to be installed. However I could track the nil value from the development log file. Thanks for the help.

Regards Chandrika