Shibboleth

Can anyone direct me to a really good tutorial on Shibboleth integration with Rails, or indeed some sample code? I've been tearing my hair out all day on this one.

Thanks

RobL

Rob,

Turns out Shib is really easy to get working once you have shibd up and kicking.

First, take a look at the restful_authentication plugin to see how they handle authentication: Relevantly, there's a @current_user instance variable with a setter that looks like this:

def current_user   @current_user ||= user_from_database || user_from_session || user_from_login end

As a before_filter, the system makes use of #logged_in? To determine if a current user could be found. That code is a simple !! current_user;

Now, shibboleth adds fields to the request headers of all incoming traffic. Instead of doing the logged_in filter, we just set something up to create or find a database record that corresponds to the user. This looks like this (For the shib variable 'eppn'), assuming that your User table has a field named eppn.

def current_user   @current_user ||= User.find_or_create_by_eppn(request.env['eppn']) end

That's it! Of course, you're going to need a way to ensure that database record is meaningful in the context of your application - In our situation, we test for the presence of contact information and then prompt the user to add it if none exists, but it doesn't really matter because the data in our IP to DNA lookup table is sorted by their eppn anyway.

E-mail back if my sample code doesn't work!

-Alex

Thanks for the response Alex, to be honest I'm getting in a muddle trying to figure out how this works / fits together, but I'm picking up bits and pieces here and there. I'll take a look at RESTful authentication and have a play.

Can I check I understand this right? From what I understand the user tries to access and Shibboleth restricted resource, Apache redirects the user away to the Identity Provider to authenticate themselves and then when they are redirected back Apache adds this additional header to each subsequent request to Mongrel? Or is it a header that is added by the client and sent through with each subsequent request until they are logged out?

I guess your application deals with the user once they are already authenticated and that work is done outside of they rails app. Do you have any sample configuration for the Shibboleth setup? I've seen something called saml2ruby which has been used to interface with the service provider directly, and I guess setting those headers in another way its not greatly documented and I guess not required if Apache can do everything for you.

Is this just for Apache, I think this client uses Nginx and that might be a problem?

Thanks again

RobL

Alex wrote:

Hi,

I also need to validate users via Shibboleth on a Ruby application using Nginx and Mongrel.

I've searched but not found instructions on how to do this.

Would someone please let me know if they have a resource for implementation of Shibboleth on a Ruby / Nginx / Mongrel setup?

Thank you!

Joe

Rob Lacey wrote:

Thanks for the response Alex, to be honest I'm getting in a muddle trying to figure out how this works / fits together, but I'm picking up bits and pieces here and there. I'll take a look at RESTful authentication and have a play.

Some concepts may be useful, but please don't ever use that piece of garbage in your application (it relies too much on generated code). You may find it useful to compare how Authlogic does things.

Best,

I still am unsure about Shibboleth with Nginx - if anyone has experience or suggestions here, please let me know. Thank you!

Joe

Hi,

Just pinging the list (again, but a year later!) to see whether anyone has advice on validating users via Shibboleth on a Ruby application using Nginx and Mongrel.

I've searched but not found instructions on how to do this.

Would someone please let me know if they have a resource for implementation of Shibboleth on a Ruby / Nginx / Mongrel setup?

Thank you!

Joe

Alex Bartlow’s post in this thread same thread three years ago gives you the answer.

http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/168155

Searching “Shibboleth Rails” in Google produced more information where other people have done this using Passenger.

B.

I think at this point, the Shibboleth Service Provider itself only supports Apache and IIS. The integration is straightforward with those servers. For rails specific authorization, plugging Shibboleth and Passenger into Apache makes authentication pretty straightforward.

If some of you are interested in using Shibboleth with Ruby and without Apache or IIS, please try rack-saml.

https://github.com/toyokazu/rack-saml

While it supports only a part of Shibboleth SP functions, you can use it without Apache or IIS frontend.

It was written to be used with omniauth-shibboleth.

https://github.com/toyokazu/omniauth-shibboleth

FYI

Best Regards,

The problem with rack-saml and similar is that they don’t support encrypted responses. I ran into this issue while trying to work with an IdP and encryption enabled (the encryption was a requirement).

My stack was nginx (1 server frontend) + passengers (multiple servers). I tried lots of solutions but I ended up with shibd and Apache web server.

So, shibd + Apache and a little shib.php file that would grab whatever shibd environment there is after successful authentication, put it in a memcache and redirect the browser to my original rails app.

Here’s how my shib.php looks like:

<?php $REDIRECT_URL = 'https://rails.app.example.org/_shib'; $MEMCACHE_HOST = 'memcache.host'; $MEMCACHE_PORT = 11211; # connect to memcache server $memcache = new Memcache; $memcache->connect($MEMCACHE_HOST, $MEMCACHE_PORT) or die ("Could not connect"); # create a temp saml session object from shibd environment variables $saml = new stdClass; $saml->provider = $_SERVER['Shib-Identity-Provider']; $saml->common_name = $_SERVER['CommonName']; $saml->given_name = $_SERVER['givenName']; $saml->surname = $_SERVER['surname']; $saml->edu_person_scoped_affiliation = $_SERVER['eduPersonScopedAffiliation']; $saml->uid = $_SERVER['uid']; $saml->email = $_SERVER['mail']; $saml->principal_name = $_SERVER['principalName']; $shib_session_id = $_SERVER['Shib-Session-ID']; # store this object in the memcache with 60 sec expiration $cache_key = 'samlsess:' . $shib_session_id; $memcache->set($cache_key, json_encode($saml), 0, 60) or die ("Failed to store data in memcache"); # send redirect to the rails app that will fetch the above object from the memcache header('Location: ' . $REDIRECT_URL . '?s=' . $shib_session_id); ?>

So, the browser gets redirected to a URL handled by my rails app, a custom Devise strategy specifically:

lib/devise/strategies/shibboleth_authenticatable.rb

require ‘json’

module Devise

module Strategies

class ShibAuthError < RuntimeError; end

class ShibbolethAuthenticatable < Devise::Strategies::Base

# check public/samlsession/index.php for full set of attributes

SAML_ATTRIBUTES = %w(provider given_name surname uid email idada)

# The request should go something like http://HOST/login?s=_23418cd2aadf

# where s parameter is a key of the auth (usually memcached) data coming from shibd

def valid?

params[:s].present?

end

# Method that actually decides whether we'll let the user in

def authenticate!

# fetch raw data from the cache

shib_session = Rails.cache.read(params[:s], :raw => true).to_s

auth_hash = JSON.parse shib_session

# sometimes IdP wasn't returning all the attributes

# so just to make sure we have them all

validate_saml_attributes! auth_hash

# find existing user or create a new one since we always trust

# our IdP

resource = mapping.to.find_or_initialize_by_ada_id(auth_hash['idada'])

if resource.new_record?

# set SAML_ATTRIBUTES in the newly built user

resource.update_from_saml auth_hash

# store the new user or raise an exception

raise(ShibAuthError, 'An error occured during new user creation') unless resource.save

end

# successfully authenticated

success! resource

rescue JSON::ParserError, ShibAuthError

Rails.logger.error("[ShibbolethAuthenticatable] ERROR during _shib authentication: #{$!}")

fail(:invalid) unless halted?

end

private

# Checks the presence of all the attributes,

# otherwise raises an exception

def validate_saml_attributes!(auth_hash)

raise(ShibAuthError, "No SAML attributes provided") unless auth_hash

SAML_ATTRIBUTES.each { |a| 

raise(ShibAuthError, "#{a} SAML attribute is missing") if auth_hash[a].blank?

}

end

end

end

end

I can wrap this in a sample rails app and opensource it if enough people are interested.