setting classes and ids

is there a way to set the classes and ids of html elements made via helpers. for instance i want to create a link that results in the following html:

<a href="index.html" id="current" class="northcrest">Home</a>

is there a way to do it, or will i have to do it the old html way?

<%= link_to 'Home', 'index.html', :id => 'current', :class => 'northcrest' %>

But I doubt you really want to link to 'index.html' in a rails app... maybe '/' or home_url or something like that.

-philip

hey thanks for the reply. i tried what you suggested. here is the code:

<%= link_to "Results", :action => "index", :id => "current", :class => "northcrest" %>

and here is the resulting html:

<a href="/plugincompare/index/current?class=northcrest">Results</a>

my first post was a little off. this is what i'm looking for as a result. same concept:

<a href="/plugincompare/index" id="current" class=northcrest">Results</a>

browner than u wrote:

<%= link_to "Results", :action => "index", :id => "current", :class => "northcrest" %>

and here is the resulting html:

<a href="/plugincompare/index/current?class=northcrest">Results</a>

my first post was a little off. this is what i'm looking for as a result. same concept:

<a href="/plugincompare/index" id="current" class=northcrest">Results</a>

Check out the docs for link_to

http://caboo.se/doc/classes/ActionView/Helpers/UrlHelper.html#M006132

Mainly:

link_to(name, options = {}, html_options = nil)

Now in this littl method, name is what appears for you to click on, options is actually an object which can generate a url, and html_options is a hash of attribute/value pairs added to the resulting html tag.

So when you do:

link_to "Results",     :action => "index",     :id => "current",     :class => "northcrest"

Ruby thinks it is:

link_to("Results",     {:action => "index",      :id => "current",      :class => "northcrest"})

All those options are getting wrapped up in the hash that is used to generate the url. You want to pass some of those into the html_options argument.

link_to('Results', {:action => 'index},     {:id => 'current', :class => 'northcrest})

This nested brace syntax can be a bit cumbersome. This is one of the many reasons people often used named routes instead.

#routes.rb   map.results 'results', :controller => 'results'

#view   link_to 'Results', results_path, :id => 'current', :class => 'northcrest'

The results_path fills the url portions of the arguments, and the hash you then pass in falls into the "html_options" argument, providing the functionality you want.

oops.

<%= link_to "Results", {:action => "index"}, :id => "current", :class => "northcrest" %>

(note the {}'s)