Session, memory_store & NoMethodError

Hy everybody,

first, excuse me for my english, I'm french (sorry for that :D).

My actual problem is that I encountered a [b]NoMethodError[/b] when I tried to access to a session value that is not nil. I'm doing some ajax calls and I afffect the key/value and access to session variable in the same controler "injection_controller.rb". I also access to session in a view [b]_infos_fichiers_xml.html.erb[/b].

The access to session in the view [b]_infos_fichiers_xml.html.erb[/b] does not cause any problem. BUT When I tried to access to the session in [b]injection_controller.rb[/b], I get a :

[color=red][i]NoMethodError (You have a nil object when you didn't expect it! You might have expected an instance of Array. The error occurred while evaluating nil.include?):[/i][/color]

The session contains an Array of objects "XmlFile" and I've configured my environement.rb to use the memory store : [i][b]config.action_controller.session_store = :memory_store[/b][/i]

This is my [b]injection_controller.rb[/b] session key/value affectation code : [code]def analysis_repository       .....       session[:list_xml] = create_XML_file_obj(false)#put an array of XmlFile objects in the session       render :update do |page|          page[:liste_fichiers_xml].replace_html render(:partial => "infos_fichiers_xml")          page[:liste_fichiers_xml].show       end   end[/code]

No error are generated when I access to session[:list_xml] from the view [b]_infos_fichiers_xml.html.erb[/b] like this : [code]<% session[:list_xml].each{|xml_file| %>     <legend><%=h xml_file.name%></legend> <% } %>"[/code]

But in an another method in [b]injection_controller.rb[/b] : [code]def inject_data(name_xp,desc_xp)     test = session[:list_xml]     puts "#{test.nil?}"#this line print false     test.each do|xml_file|#this line generate the error       puts xml_file.name     end end[/code]

So, it's very strange, and when I look at the session with <%= debug session %> I can see the @data that contains my XmlFile array !

I probably do something bad ! :frowning: I you have any ideas ?!

Thank you for advance !

Is this actually an array or an association proxy that looks like an array ?

Fred

This is an array of objects, complete like this :

I only have the NoMethodError when accessing to the session key/value in an another function than the one where affectation was made, but in the same controler. Is it an envidence ?

If the problem only appears when accessing stuff put in the session by a previous request and happens in development mode it's probably related to code reloading. In between requests reloads your classes so on subsequent requests your session contains objects of class that rails has thrown out.

In general you should avoid sticking large or complicated things in the session - for example you could store an array of ids of the active record objects. You should also know that memory store isn't a good choice for a production app - separate passenger or mongrel instances won't share sessions

Fred

Ok, thanks a lot !

But, these objects are not already saved in the database, so I can not save the ids !

I have to check a lot of things before doing that.........a solution could be to use transactions. How can I rollback after have saved objects ?

One more time, thank you Frederick !

Frederick Cheung wrote:

Ok, I have more informations :

I can read the array from session if I modify my development.rb file : change config.cache_classes = false TO config.cache_classes = true

like in production. But of course, I have to restart the server each times I modify my code to see the results.

Is it a cache bug in Rails ? Very strange !

It's a known side effect of the code reloading stuff, but as I said above, the memory store is not going to be a good solution for deployment so if I were you I'd try and find a way not to rely on it.

Fred

why topic starter, not use cookie store?

Ivan Nastyukhin dieinzige@me.com

Because cookie store imply a strict size limit of 4kB......

Because cookie store imply a strict size limit of 4kB......

If you hitting that limit you are usually doing it wrong (database sessions can contain larger objects though)

Fred

if u store models, at session - u are wrong

u should save, only ids to db, may be drafts, buts 4kb its normal for 99.8% situations

Ivan Nastyukhin dieinzige@me.com