Sending mail templates to a mailinglist

As a noob to rails I am struggling with being able to send a mail template (html) stored in my database to all the users on a mailing list. I can use the emailer page to send the mail template to a single email address, but I want to be able to put a button on the mailinglists show page that sends the mail template to all the mailings in the mailinglist. The code is below for the key sections I am using.

I have been trying to figure out a solution for 4 days now and still cannot get anything working and am loosing the will to live!!

Please if anyone could help me on this one I would be very very greatfull.

Regards,

David

emailer controller

As a noob to rails I am struggling with being able to send a mail template (html) stored in my database to all the users on a mailing list. I can use the emailer page to send the mail template to a single email address, but I want to be able to put a button on the
mailinglists show page that sends the mail template to all the mailings in the mailinglist. The code is below for the key sections I am using.

Well instead of doing

Emailer.deliver_contact(recipient, subject, message)

You could clearly do

recipients.each do |recipient|    Emailer.deliver_contact(recipient, subject, message) end

assuming that recipients was some collection of email addresses

Fred

Hi Fred,

At present the recipient is a single email address coming from the emailer page (just to test the mailer works).

I have moved the sendmail form into the mailinglists index view page (and also moved the sendmail function from the emailer controller to the mailinglist controller) and it still works fine by sending the recipient, subject, message to the emailer model.

However I created a mailings scaffold which holds each of the email addresses, and names for the people on the mailinglist (with a one to many relationship).

So now I am stuck as I dont know how to create a button that sends an email to all the mailings in a mailinglist with the mailinglist_template associated with that mailinglist!!

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!!

Kindest Regards,

Louis

Frederick Cheung wrote:

Hi Fred,

At present the recipient is a single email address coming from the emailer page (just to test the mailer works).

I have moved the sendmail form into the mailinglists index view page (and also moved the sendmail function from the emailer controller to
the mailinglist controller) and it still works fine by sending the recipient, subject, message to the emailer model.

However I created a mailings scaffold which holds each of the email addresses, and names for the people on the mailinglist (with a one to many relationship).

So now I am stuck as I dont know how to create a button that sends an email to all the mailings in a mailinglist with the
mailinglist_template associated with that mailinglist!!

Doesn't that just mean that recipients = mailinglist.people.collect {| person> person.email_address} ? Fred

Frederick Cheung wrote:

Dave Smith wrote:

Frederick Cheung wrote:

recipient, subject, message to the emailer model.

So now I am stuck as I dont know how to create a button that sends an email to all the mailings in a mailinglist with the
mailinglist_template associated with that mailinglist!!

Doesn't that just mean that recipients = mailinglist.people.collect {| person> person.email_address} ? Fred

yeah well in my mailinglist controller I have put

@mailinglist_mailings = @mailinglist.mailings.collect

so essentially very similar

so does that mean I put an AJAX button in my view page to run the "do" code, or does the code have to be placed in the emailer model?

Sorry for my lack of knowledge as ive only been using rails for a couple of weeks and am learning it by myself.

Dave Smith wrote:

Frederick Cheung wrote:

recipient, subject, message to the emailer model.

However I created a mailings scaffold which holds each of the email addresses, and names for the people on the mailinglist (with a
one to many relationship).

So now I am stuck as I dont know how to create a button that
sends an email to all the mailings in a mailinglist with the mailinglist_template associated with that mailinglist!!

Doesn't that just mean that recipients =
mailinglist.people.collect {| person> person.email_address} ? Fred

yeah well in my mailinglist controller I have put

so essentially very similar

so does that mean I put an AJAX button in my view page to run the "do" code, or does the code have to be placed in the emailer model?

whether this happens in the controller or in the emailer this mostly
depends if you want 1 email sent to everyone, or to send however many
separate emails (with identical content). I think AJAX is an orthogonal issue - you could have a regular button
or an ajax one and it wouldn't change much.

Fred

Frederick Cheung wrote:

I'm sort of struggling to see what the problem is to be honest.

if in your view you had

button_to :send_mail, :id => some_template.id, :mailing_list_id => some_mailing_list_id

then your controller could be as simple as

def send_mail    @mail_template = MailTemplate.find params[:id]    @mailing_list = MailingList.find params[:mailing_list_id]    @mailing_list.people.each do |person|      Emailer.deliver_message person.email_address, @mail_template.subject, @mail_template.body    end end

(I'm assuming a bunch of things about which attributes and associations your models have but it should be quite obvious)

Fred

Frederick Cheung wrote:

I think AJAX is an orthogonal issue - you could have a regular button or an ajax one and it wouldn't change much.

Fred

to be honest i dont really care how the emails are sent. which ever method is easiest to impliment. Do you know of any examples that are similar as I dont really know where to start on this one.

if in your view you had

button_to :send_mail, :id => some_template.id, :mailing_list_id => some_mailing_list_id

def send_mail    @mail_template = MailTemplate.find params[:id]    @mailing_list = MailingList.find params[:mailing_list_id]    @mailing_list.people.each do |person|      Emailer.deliver_message person.email_address, @mail_template.subject, @mail_template.body    end end

(I'm assuming a bunch of things about which attributes and associations your models have but it should be quite obvious)

Fred

Thank you Fred,

It gets a little more complicated because the mailinglist has many mailings (database table shown below).

id mailinglist_id name email_address 1 2 Dave Smith smith@yahoo.com

So I thought you would have to collect these first then loop through them...

somthing like the following perhaps?

def send_mail     @mail_template = MailTemplate.find(params[:id])     @mailing_list = MailingList.find(params[:mailing_list_id])     @mailinglist_mailings = @mailinglist.mailings.collect --------- @mailinglist_mailings.mailing.each do |mailing|       Emailer.deliver_contact(mailing.email_address, @mail_template.subject, @mail_template.body)     end     return if request.xhr?       render :text => 'Message sent successfully'    end

but i dont think that the line @mailinglist_mailings.mailing.each do

Frederick Cheung wrote:

I think AJAX is an orthogonal issue - you could have a regular
button or an ajax one and it wouldn't change much.

Fred

to be honest i dont really care how the emails are sent. which ever method is easiest to impliment. Do you know of any examples that are similar as I dont really know where to start on this one.

if in your view you had

def send_mail   @mail_template = MailTemplate.find params[:id]   @mailing_list = MailingList.find params[:mailing_list_id]   @mailing_list.people.each do |person|     Emailer.deliver_message person.email_address, @mail_template.subject, @mail_template.body   end end

Fred

Thank you Fred,

It gets a little more complicated because the mailinglist has many mailings (database table shown below).

id mailinglist_id name email_address 1 2 Dave Smith smith@yahoo.com

So I thought you would have to collect these first then loop through them...

somthing like the following perhaps?

def send_mail    @mail_template = MailTemplate.find(params[:id])    @mailing_list = MailingList.find(params[:mailing_list_id])

This line above is pointless. collect with no block passed just
returns the original array. THe point of collect/map is to create a new collection by applying a
function to each element (eg given an array of numbers construct an
array with the square of each number: numbers.collect {|n| n*n} )

@mailing_list.mailings.each do |mailing|     Emailer.deliver_contact(mailing.email_address,
@mail_template.subject, @mail_template.body) end

Fred

Frederick Cheung wrote:

Frederick Cheung wrote:

Fred

button_to :send_mail, :id => some_template.id, :mailing_list_id =>   end

mailings (database table shown below).    @mail_template = MailTemplate.find(params[:id])    @mailing_list = MailingList.find(params[:mailing_list_id])

This line above is pointless. collect with no block passed just returns the original array. THe point of collect/map is to create a new collection by applying a function to each element (eg given an array of numbers construct an array with the square of each number: numbers.collect {|n| n*n} )

@mailing_list.mailings.each do |mailing|     Emailer.deliver_contact(mailing.email_address, @mail_template.subject, @mail_template.body) end

Fred

one final question.. i have the code working, and can send a mail template to a list of mailings... but in order to send more than one mailtemplate to these users i have had to create a button for each template as shown below..

<% for mail_template in @mailinglist_templates %> <%= button_to "sendmail", { :action => "send_mail", :mail_template_id => mail_template.id, :id => params[:id] } %> <% end %>

now this i know is poor programming and looks bad too.. is there a way i can just have one button that sends each of the mail templates to all the users in the list..?

again many thanks for your help!!

one final question.. i have the code working, and can send a mail template to a list of mailings... but in order to send more than one mailtemplate to these users i have had to create a button for each template as shown below..

<% for mail_template in @mailinglist_templates %> <%= button_to "sendmail", { :action => "send_mail", :mail_template_id => mail_template.id, :id => params[:id] } %> <% end %>

now this i know is poor programming and looks bad too.. is there a way i can just have one button that sends each of the mail templates to all the users in the list..?

just call the action something like send_all_mails or something like that and drop the :mail_template_id parameter and do that iteration over all templates in the controller.

If you wanted to get a bit more fancy then you could have a checkbox for each template you want to send (whether you have a list of templates with a checkbox for each mailing list that should receive it or a list of mailing list with checkboxes for each template that should go to a given mailing list is down to what makes the most business sense to you)

Fred

Frederick Cheung wrote:

just call the action something like send_all_mails or something like that and drop the :mail_template_id parameter and do that iteration over all templates in the controller.

If you wanted to get a bit more fancy then you could have a checkbox for each template you want to send (whether you have a list of templates with a checkbox for each mailing list that should receive it or a list of mailing list with checkboxes for each template that should go to a given mailing list is down to what makes the most business sense to you)

Fred

I presume somthing similar to this would work

@mailing_list = Mailinglist.find(params[:id])     @mail_templates = @mailing_list.mail_templates.collect

@mail_templates.mail_templates.each do |mail_template|       @mailing_list.mailings.each do |mailing|         Emailer.deliver_contact(mailing.email_address, @mail_template.name, @mail_template.content)       end     end

Frederick Cheung wrote:

>> now this i know is poor programming and looks bad too.. is there a way i >> can just have one button that sends each of the mail templates to all >> the users in the list..?

> just call the action something like send_all_mails or something like > that and drop the :mail_template_id parameter and do that iteration > over all templates in the controller.

> If you wanted to get a bit more fancy then you could have a checkbox > for each template you want to send (whether you have a list of > templates with a checkbox for each mailing list that should receive it > or a list of mailing list with checkboxes for each template that > should go to a given mailing list is down to what makes the most > business sense to you)

> Fred

I presume somthing similar to this would work

@mailing_list = Mailinglist.find(params[:id]) @mail_templates = @mailing_list.mail_templates.collect

collect with no block does nothing

@mail\_templates\.mail\_templates\.each do |mail\_template|

Just @mailing_list.mail_templates.each ... will do here, assuming mailing_list has_many mail_templates

Fred

Frederick Cheung wrote:

> over all templates in the controller. I presume somthing similar to this would work

�@mailing_list = Mailinglist.find(params[:id]) � � @mail_templates = @mailing_list.mail_templates.collect

collect with no block does nothing

� � @mail_templates.mail_templates.each do |mail_template|

Just @mailing_list.mail_templates.each ... will do here, assuming mailing_list has_many mail_templates

Fred

brilliant, thank you Fred. I have the code working without syntax errors. There is however a problem where it will only work once in both loops. for example if i have more than one email address in the mailinglist, or more than one template it sends the first email to me no problem but then throws the following error

ArgumentError in Admin/mailinglistsController#send_mail

Admin is not missing constant Emailer! RAILS_ROOT: C:/ruby/myprojects/service

Application Trace | Framework Trace | Full Trace c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.1.1/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:253:in `load_missing_constant' c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.1.1/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:468:in `const_missing' c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.1.1/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:486:in `send' c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.1.1/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:486:in `const_missing' app/controllers/admin/mailinglists_controller.rb:116:in `send_mail' app/controllers/admin/mailinglists_controller.rb:115:in `send_mail' app/controllers/admin/mailinglists_controller.rb:114:in `send_mail' Request

Parameters:

{"authenticity_token"=>"dc9249eaed248ed10c939b4b0fd52c0c373c5f09", "id"=>"1"} Show session dump

Application Trace | Framework Trace | Full Trace c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.1.1/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:253:in `load_missing_constant' c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.1.1/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:468:in `const_missing' c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.1.1/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:486:in `send' c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.1.1/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:486:in `const_missing' app/controllers/admin/mailinglists_controller.rb:116:in `send_mail' app/controllers/admin/mailinglists_controller.rb:115:in `send_mail' app/controllers/admin/mailinglists_controller.rb:114:in `send_mail' Request

Parameters:

{"authenticity_token"=>"dc9249eaed248ed10c939b4b0fd52c0c373c5f09", "id"=>"1"} Show session dump

dont worry, i fixed it by prepending Admin:: to the reference of the model.. but out of curiosity, why did it work the first time and not the second time?

> Application Trace | Framework Trace | Full Trace

dont worry, i fixed it by prepending Admin:: to the reference of the model.. but out of curiosity, why did it work the first time and not the second time?

Probably some weird dependencies thing. Hard to say more from here.

Fred