self.where('section = ?', '%:search_item%')

I am trying to do a search where I can enter a part of a word and the search find all occurrences of that part word in the field. The above subject does not work. Can anyone help I am using Rails 3 and ruby 1.9.2 I use to be able to do it in rails 2.x. In my Model I have the following:-   def self.search(search_item)     if search_item      self.where('section = ?', '%:search_item%')     else       self.all     end   end

In my controller I have:-     @homepages = Homepage.search(params[:search])     respond_to do |format|       format.html # index.html.erb       format.xml { render :xml => @homepages }       format.js {render :js => @homepages}     end

self.where(‘section = %?%’, search_item)

Thanks for that, but I am still getting a syntax error. Now:- SQLite3::SQLException: near "%": syntax error: SELECT "homepages".* FROM "homepages" WHERE (section = %'Gar'%)

This shows that the correct text is being passed, but the syntax is still incorrect. Don

Thanks for that, but I am still getting a syntax error. Now:- SQLite3::SQLException: near "%": syntax error: SELECT "homepages".* FROM "homepages" WHERE (section = %'Gar'%)

This shows that the correct text is being passed, but the syntax is still incorrect. Don

You can't put the question mark inside the percentage signs, as Rails SQL-escapes the variable and wraps it in appropriate delimiters... hence your error. You need to wrap your string in percentages one way or another and pass that in:

self.where('section = ?', "%#{search_item}%")

Thanks Michael I have tried that along with other versions of '%search_item%'without any joy. Just tried it again. it does not throws an error, but it returns nothing.      self.where('section = ?', search_item) works with the full word 'Gardening', but not 'Gar'      self.where('section = ?', '%search_item%') does not work and you cannot use %without a ' or "      self.where('section = ?', '%'search_item'%') is an internal server error      self.where('section = ?', '%'+search_item+'%') no go either. Don

Oops.... just spotted.... if you're trying to do a SQL query with "%" you need to use "LIKE" instead of "="

self.where('section LIKE ?', "%#{search_item}%")

Wow Thanks Michael After all this time. Both of these works which do you think is best.      self.where('section LIKE ?', "%#{search_item}%")      self.where('section LIKE ?', '%'+search_item+'%') I can now get back to the remote => ajax call. Pure joy Thanks again Don

personally, I prefer the syntax of the first method; it seems more "Ruby".

Michael Pavling wrote in post #958364: