select working with :include

Hi everyone, this is about http://dev.rubyonrails.org/ticket/7147 which has been close as wont fix. it seems like I cannot post comment on this bug anymore… neither my account (somekool) have the right to create new tickets. anyhow. I was looking at using both :select and :include in a query but could not as they are mutually exclusive. they I found this ticket close as won’t fix. I understand the initial request is rather difficult to implement without getting important performance drawbacks. but I think this could be solved by adding a new attributes such as :select_append so a query would look like this Store.find :all, :select_append => ‘sum(books.price * books.stock) as total_inventory’,

:include => [:manager[:name], :address, {:books[:title, :stock, :price] => :author}], :joins => ‘join owners on stores.owner_id = owners.id’, :conditions => “addresses.city = ‘Sydney’”,

:group => ‘stores.id

ActiveRecord would still manage the whole thing as usual. without having to write a full sql parser and the user would be allowed to specify more columns in the select by just appending them. I beleive this would be a great add-on to active record.

in the same trend, I’d like to be to use :include => with find_by_sql sometimes, I need to write my own SQL joining multiple tables. but if AR could do its magic with the :include that’d be rather awesome

thanks

FYI, I think about the time rails went to git, they moved the issue/bug tracking system to Lighthouse. That can be found here: https://rails.lighthouseapp.com/projects/8994-ruby-on-rails

Ah… more helpful. Here is the blog article that announced that:

http://weblog.rubyonrails.org/2008/4/15/rails-and-family-on-lighthouse

• Ken

Appending to the eager loading query select phrase just makes it easier to blow your leg off (eg. because you don't know what the aliased field names are, etc) without offering much more capability. There are already thousands of edge cases like this that ActiveRecord can't reasonably support because of the parity mismatch to raw SQL.

In these types of situations a much more powerful technique is to manually hydrate your associations. If a Teacher has_many :students then you can hydrate like this:

@teachers = Teacher.all Teacher.send(:preload_associations, @teachers, [:students])

I think this should be exposed in some future version of Rails as an official API since it's so amazingly useful and gives you a hook into associations that is not possible any other way, but for now it's a private method and subject to change.

I think this should be exposed in some future version of Rails as an official API since it's so amazingly useful and gives you a hook into associations that is not possible any other way, but for now it's a private method and subject to change.

I agree on this one, I've been using the preload_associations stuff quite a bit recently and it's great.

I figure there are two approaches, either do it data-mapper style and automatically preload whenever any association gets accessed, or have an explicit api. I'm in favour of the second approach here, perhaps something like:

@customers = Customer.find_by_sql(some_crazy_thing) @customers.preload(:projects=>:tasks) # DB not used from now on puts @customers.map(&:projects).flatten.map(&:tasks).flatten.map(&:name)

That'd require an array subclass to be returned from all find calls, but there's already stuff like this in Arel.