select include_blank alternative

I'm trying to create a list of options with the top item returning "" while displaying none

<%= select (:activity, :location_state, [["None",""]]+ @client.location_addresses.map {|location| [location.state,location.state]}.uniq.sort, {:selected => @location_state_selected }) %>

This generates what I would think would be the right option tags (and they look right in show source as well) but when it's returned to the server :location_state => "None" insead of ""

What gives? Any ideas?

Thanks, -dustin

Hi. Try write [["", "None"]] first - value, second - the displaying string.

Another way - using parameter :prompt => "None", in your case:

<%= select (:activity, :location_state, @client.location_address.map{|location| [location.state, location.state]}.uniq.sort, {:prompt => "None"}, {:selected => @location_state_selected}) %>

Best Regards, Sergey

Hmm I figured out where the problem is coming from. I'm using observe_form to watch for changes in this form. The params that are getting to the :url in observe_form are wrong. I've written a simple test case:

Two rhtml files will show what I'm talking about:

params_test.rhtml: <html> <head>

<title>params</title>   <%= javascript_include_tag "prototype" %>

</head>

<body> <%= form_tag ({:action => "render_params"}, {:id => 'form'}) %> <%= select (:activity, :location_type, [["Store","0"], ["DC", "1"]], {:prompt => "None"}) %> <%= submit_tag %>

<%= observe_form(:form,          :update => 'params',          :url => {:action => 'render_params'}) %> <div id='params'></div> </body> </html>

render_params: <html> <head>

<title>render_params</title>

</head>

<body>

params:<br/> <%= debug(params) %> request.params:<br/> <%= debug(request.params) %>

</body> </html>

Now if I submit the form render_params returns: params: --- !map:HashWithIndifferentAccess commit: Save changes activity: !map:HashWithIndifferentAccess   location_type: "" action: render_params controller: params_test request.params:

Weird it was a bug with the prototype library that shipped with Rails on Locomotive. I updated my prototype.js file (which is smaller than the one that was in public/javascripts/) and it started working. Should I report a bug somewhere to someone (Locomotive?)

-dustin