same controller and database, different views based on domain name

what is the easiest way to achieve that result? i would like to keep controllers and models the same for all the "applications", which, in fact, are the same. They only appear different (the views, the css, and a parameter of the query that will be sent to the database). I could separate the rails app, but, doing that, i will need to replicate every common change (a bug fix in a model method for example) to all of them. is there a better way?

I think it is rather problem of solving question how to configure virtualHost not rather rails app itself....

It is easy for instance with Passenger and apache, you configure virtualHost's files for appropriate domains and pass on every same home folder of your app to them

In app core you see what is your request url and you know how to act...

Why not just grab the domain from the URL, then use that to determine which stylesheet, etc. to use?

You have a couple of options.

1. Setup virtual hosts on your web server and find a way to keep the public folders seperate(easy in passenger on apache, but cannot speak for anything else). This does not allow for having seperate view files for each subdomain.

2. In addition to or instead of 1, use the code below in your application controller and call it before every request with the theme for that request (i.e. get it from the params in one way or another - I use a database lookup as my sites are defined in the db, but that is not nescessary unless you require it for another reason). Note that the code below will expect the different views in a folder called 'themes/<<theme>>/views' - change this to wherever you want to store it. The good thing about this method is that it uses rails to do the clever stuff and if the view file that you want isn't in the folder specified, then it will look in existing locations i.e. your application. This is useful if you want all of your subdomains to keep the same view files as the app UNLESS you want to change them for that subdomain.

def set_theme(theme)             @theme=theme             Thread.current[:current_theme]=theme

prepend_view_path([                     ::ActionView::ReloadableTemplate::ReloadablePath.new (Rails::public_path + "/themes/#{@theme}/views")])           end

Regards

Gary

Best solution I had seen is posted over here: http://transfs.com/devblog/2009/01/21/hosting-multiple-domains-from-a-single-rails-app/

I was developing recently such application and it works perfectly with Rails 2.3.5

Besides of configuring VirtualHost, everything focuses on extending functionality of routing. So in new initializer you put:

module ActionController   module Routing     class RouteSet       def extract_request_environment(request)         env = { :method => request.method }         env[:domain] = request.domain if request.domain         env[:host] = request.host if request.host         env       end     end     class Route       alias_method :old_recognition_conditions, :recognition_conditions       def recognition_conditions         result = old_recognition_conditions         result << "conditions[:domain] === env[:domain]" if conditions[:domain]         result << "conditions[:host] === env[:host]" if conditions[:host]         result       end     end   end end

And at the router itself:

map.connect '', :controller => 'true_cost_calculator', :action => 'new', :conditions=>{ :domain=>'truecostofcredit.com' } map.connect '', :controller => 'another_cost_calculator', :action => 'index', :conditions=>{ :domain=>'anothercost.com' }

Sometimes :host is useful too

Regards