Rubyzip gem installed but not recognised

Hi,

I have installed rubyzip successfully(see output below) Successfully installed rubyzip-0.9.1 1 gem installed Installing ri documentation for rubyzip-0.9.1... Installing RDoc documentation for rubyzip-0.9.1...

if I put config.gem 'rubyzip' in environment.rb and then run rails it fails to load rubyzip .. see below george@geolaptop:~/Dropbox/git/paua$ ruby script/server => Booting WEBrick... no such file to load -- rubyzip-0.9.1 /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:31:in `gem_original_require' /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:31:in `require' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.2.2/lib/active_support/ dependencies.rb:153:in `require' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.2.2/lib/active_support/ dependencies.rb:521:in `new_constants_in' /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.2.2/lib/active_support/ dependencies.rb:153:in `require'

Also if I try to put the gem into vendor it doesnt complain but it does nothing : george@geolaptop:~/Dropbox/git/paua$ rake gems:unpack GEM=rubyzip (in /home/george/Dropbox/git/paua) george@geolaptop:~/Dropbox/git/paua$

My rake tasks which use rubyzip via a "require 'zip/zipfilesystem'" work fine. I just cant do a config.gem or freeze it into vendor.

Any suggestions welcome. Gems seem like such a good idea but cause so much grief!

Cheers George

try to add `require "zip/zipfilesystem"' in the ruby file that requires the rubyzip gem

I have already done that and it works. However I cant do 'config.gem' without causing errors and I cant install the gem in vendor.

I have a rake task that happens to use rubyzip and everything is fine on my system with rubyzip in the ruby gems folder, but when I try to run ANY rake task on Heroku where I have a copy of the app it fails because it cant find the gem.

Why cant I install it in vendor? Can I just copy it there?

Cheers George

try to add `require “zip/zipfilesystem”’ in the ruby file that

requires the rubyzip gem

I have already done that and it works.

However I cant do ‘config.gem’ without causing errors and I cant

install the gem in vendor.

What’s exact config.gem statement you’re using within your environment.rb?

I have a rake task that happens to use rubyzip and everything is fine

on my system with rubyzip in the ruby gems folder, but when I try to

run ANY rake task on Heroku where I have a copy of the app it fails

because it cant find the gem.

You might want to file a ticket with Heroku if this is truly an issue with

them. Also, you might want to try using the bundler gem which can be

installed using:

sudo gem install bundler

Next, the documentation can be found here:

http://github.com/wycats/bundler

Good luck,

-Conrad

What's exact config.gem statement you're using within your environment.rb?

config.gem 'rubyzip'

I did try various 'lib' options as well but to no avail.

G.

:lib => 'zip/zip' should work, based on the layout of files in the gem.

--Matt Jones