RubyTalkTips 0.0.5 released

I've emailed many of you about this project, and while it's still got a long way to go, I thought I should release it to the community now.

Over the last couple of years, I have been collecting what I consider to be the best of the advice posted to the Ruby-Talk list into a mail folder of mine called Ruby Tips. Since I feel that I have been the beneficiary of the advice posted there, I thought a way of giving back might be to release an open source RoR application featuring the 550 best tips I have collected thus far from the Ruby-Talk list.

I have taken the liberty of condensing the email tips by removing greetings, signatures and other content not directly relevant to the tip content. I have added keywords to each tip so that searches can be quick and relevant.

I have done my best to email each tip contributor, and ask permission to use their tip, name and email address. If you see a tip attributed to you, and you have not received my email, please contact me. I have had overwhelmingly positive response to these requests, and over 92% of users I contacted have given full permission. A few have requested that their email address be removed. Some messages posted to the list have email addresses that are no longer valid.

All email addresses posted on the site are obfuscated by substituting the email address with HTML entities. (I've posted a tip on how to do this). This currently goes a long way toward defeating the majority of spam bots, but it is not foolproof. I use this to give credit to the members that provided the tips and to facilitate sorting on tips by specific contributors, which I think is quite useful. I also believe it to be less identifiable than using actual names.

I seek feeback from the entire community and I will pay particular attention to feedback that comes from those who have actually submitted a tip, so please consider doing that first. :wink:

The new RubyTips (0.0.5) project, can be viewed online at:

Rails 3 source code:

https://github.com/CaptDowner/rubytips

Features:

* Database of tips related to the Ruby language * Tips collected from ruby-talk and rubyonrails-talk email lists * All tips are searchable by keyword, type and full email address * Column sorting by relevant fields * Open posting of new tips * Uses PostgreSQL database, enabling full text searches

Todo:

* solicit community support to add additional Ruby and Rails tips * add development team members * add authentication, so that only authors of original tips can update/ edit their own tips * incorporate full text search using PostgreSQL * Add SCSS formatting and styling for smartphones and tablet computers * Need translations, including Japanese, Mandarin, Spanish,   Hindi, Russian, Arabic, Portuguese, Vietnamese, German, Italian,   French, Farsi, Korean, Thai, Polish and other i18n languages. (Volunteers   are all needed and welcomed!)

I need volunteers to help me maintain and improve RubyTips. All feedback and/or suggestions are appreciated. Please let me know how you think this project can be improved.

Capt. Downer email: captdowner@gmail.com

I've emailed many of you about this project, and while it's still got a long way to go, I thought I should release it to the community now.

Over the last couple of years, I have been collecting what I consider to be the best of the advice posted to the Ruby-Talk list into a mail folder of mine called Ruby Tips. Since I feel that I have been the beneficiary of the advice posted there, I thought a way of giving back might be to release an open source RoR application featuring the 550 best tips I have collected thus far from the Ruby-Talk list.

I have taken the liberty of condensing the email tips by removing greetings, signatures and other content not directly relevant to the tip content. I have added keywords to each tip so that searches can be quick and relevant.

I have done my best to email each tip contributor, and ask permission to use their tip, name and email address. If you see a tip attributed to you, and you have not received my email, please contact me. I have had overwhelmingly positive response to these requests, and over 92% of users I contacted have given full permission. A few have requested that their email address be removed. Some messages posted to the list have email addresses that are no longer valid.

All email addresses posted on the site are obfuscated by substituting the email address with HTML entities. (I've posted a tip on how to do this). This currently goes a long way toward defeating the majority of spam bots, but it is not foolproof. I use this to give credit to the members that provided the tips and to facilitate sorting on tips by specific contributors, which I think is quite useful. I also believe it to be less identifiable than using actual names.

I seek feeback from the entire community and I will pay particular attention to feedback that comes from those who have actually submitted a tip, so please consider doing that first. :wink:

The new RubyTips (0.0.5) project, can be viewed online at:

http://rubytalktips.com

The link is not working for me

Colin

the name is resolving somewhere :slight_smile:

try http://50.62.128.115:3000/pages/about