Ruby on Rails salaries in Berlin?

Hello all.

I’m living in Spain, and I’m offered a job in a Berlin IT company as a Rails developer. I’m considered a junior developer (almost 1 year experience) but I think I’m pretty good for this time.

I would like to ask what would be considered a good salary for such a position. I mean, what amount would be good and could make a decent life out of (apartment bill, internet, food etc.). I don’t know if this matters, but I will relocate there.

Also, does anybody knows what’s the average IT salary in Berlin for Rails developers?

Thanks,

Santiago

Hi Santiago

Also, does anybody knows what’s the average IT salary in Berlin for Rails developers?

I work in Berlin for 60.- / h as a freelancer.

As a junior, it will be less. Depends also from your age/experience. In the moment they are quite desperate looking for rails people…

Berlin itself is relatively cheep to live. But rising rapidly, depends where you want to stay.

Werner

Hi Werner.

Well I’m 24, I have a lot of experience generally on computers and web development (~10 years). So what would you aim for if you were me? It’s going to be a full-time work, I’m going to be a part of the team. Someone recommended ~50k (I’m a junior in Rails, but learning fast and built some quite good things till now).

Also, what would you estimate the life there costs? I mean, the bills (house, electricity, water, food, internet/phone)?

Also, I heard the taxes there are quite high, something like 45%?

Santiago…

Hi Werner.

Well I’m 24, I have a lot of experience generally on computers and web development (~10 years). So what would you aim for if you were me? It’s going to be a full-time work, I’m going to be a part of the team. Someone recommended ~50k (I’m a junior in Rails, but learning fast and built some quite good things till now).

50k is fine to start.

Also, what would you estimate the life there costs? I mean, the bills (house, electricity, water, food, internet/phone)?

Rent: 500.- for 1-2 Rooms

Apartment with furniture 600.-/ 800.-

Food : 250.-

Transport: 60.- (public)

Haircut: 10.-

Party…???

when you earn 50k, no kids …income taxes will be around 30%…but also you have to pay sick- and pension insurance, etc. . So from 50k around 30k will stay in your pocket… which is not bad for 24 year young guy.

Enjoy Berlin…culture is great.

o.k. weather is not like Barcelona…no siesta (8:00 - 17:30 straight work), no outdoor sitting in the sun , running around in t-shirt etc…at least not from now to next May. Can be be fucking cold in Jan - March

Communication can be mostly in english…no need to learn German…in the beginning.

Berlin people are a little direct at times but helpful, but there are so many foreigners…

Go for it… Spain is not in a good shape right now…

Werner

Also, I heard the taxes there are quite high, something like 45%?

Hello all.

I’m living in Spain, and I’m offered a job in a Berlin IT company as a Rails developer. I’m considered a junior developer (almost 1 year experience) but I think I’m pretty good for this time.

I would like to ask what would be considered a good salary for such a position. I mean, what amount would be good and could make a decent life out of (apartment bill, internet, food etc.). I don’t know if this matters, but I will relocate there.

Thanks,

Santiago

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Ruby on Rails: Talk” group.

To post to this group, send email to rubyonrails-talk@googlegroups.com.

To unsubscribe from this group, send email to rubyonrails-talk+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rubyonrails-talk/-/fMKJkyZOTyoJ.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

Werner Laude

webagentur.laude@gmail.com

Hi Werner, thanks for your helpful answers!

When you say 30k, you mean after paying bills (house, food etc), right?

Ah, forget my previous post, around ~1,5k will go to paying the bills, food etc. so it’s about 1k staying in your pocket for entertainment or anything else that’s not a required expense.

Hi Werner,

Any recommendations on work visas for Americans for those of us without an EU passport?

Thanks, Evan

In the past month I’ve applied for a company in berlin, I am from brazil, but when the HR guy told me about the taxes, it drives me crazy. About Wener’s explanation, 30k is the amount that you will receive after all taxes discounts. What means that if you have a salary around 4k you are going to receive just 2.5k after all discount and health insurance. It seems to be a good amount, but for me to relocate to another country being a brazilian is not a big deal.

But like some guys always say: money is not everything. Work with great people and make difference and a beautiful code is priceless.

Good luck with your application

's

Hi guys, I am Senior Ruby on Rails developer with more than 7+ years experience. One company from Barcelona offered 2000 euros/month. Total annual salary comes to 24,000 euros/year with work permit in Barcelona, Spain after negotiating.

I am thinking its not a good deal. Can you guide me.

Thanks, Aashish