Ruby on Rails for Healthcare systems

Since there is a theoretical parts that can be taken care of (i.e; algorithms), I just want to be rest assured that I can implement that using RoR. So, the issue is, can I do such CAD stuff on RoR?

Ruby is a complete enough language, and there are gems like rmagick which will let you access the raw data in an image. So, it's easy enough to assume you can in theory do this using RoR. However, ruby is an interpreted language, so in practice it could be too slow, depending on exactly what it is you want to do.

My suggestion is not to worry about RoR for now. Develop your CAD algorithm first. Are you talking about automated image processing to determine if the image depicts lung cancer? Or are you simply going to present images on the screen side by side and let the operator do the thinking (in which case there is nothing complicated at all, so why ask)?

Jim

Jim Crate wrote in post #973893:

Since there is a theoretical parts that can be taken care of (i.e; algorithms), I just want to be rest assured that I can implement that using RoR. So, the issue is, can I do such CAD stuff on RoR?

Ruby is a complete enough language, and there are gems like rmagick which will let you access the raw data in an image. So, it's easy enough to assume you can in theory do this using RoR. However, ruby is an interpreted language, so in practice it could be too slow, depending on exactly what it is you want to do.

My suggestion is not to worry about RoR for now. Develop your CAD algorithm first. Are you talking about automated image processing to determine if the image depicts lung cancer? Or are you simply going to present images on the screen side by side and let the operator do the thinking (in which case there is nothing complicated at all, so why ask)?

Jim

Thanks @Jim. Yes, most likely it would be an automated image processing application.